Chapter 33 : Date! End of the year

Chapter 33

"Hi Harry," said Daphne smiling when she met Harry at the Great Hall.

"Hey Daph," he greeted back. "You look beautiful," he said. She was wearing black shoes and blue jeans, and she had a fluffy white jacket over a blue shirt. She had curled up her hair at the tips and she had a light touch of lipstick on.

"Thank you," she smiled brightly at the compliment. "You look wonderful as well, though your hair's uneven as always," she joked.

"I tried flattening it but I didn't want to use so much hair gel that I smelled like hippogriff poop," he explained. "I guess it's part of the Potter package," sighed Harry. "Oh, and I got these for you," he said, bringing out the flowers he was hiding behind his back. Daphne's happy smile vanished at the sight of them and she let out a sneeze. "Bless you," comforted Harry. "Do you not like them?" he asked nervously.

"It's not that," said Daphne. "I'm allergic to white roses," she explained and Harry cringed. A few minutes in and the date was already going badly. He hurriedly passed them to a 4th year that was walking by.

"Sorry about the flowers," he said. "Tori said that they were your favorite."

"I'm going to have a talk with her after this," Daphne grumbled as she rubbed her nose. "I appreciate the sentiment though and I'm not mad."

"Phew," said Harry happily. "Where are my manners?" Harry asked himself aloud, offering his hand to Daphne. "So, shall we?" Daphne took his hand and they walked out of the castle.

They walked over to the place where Professor McGonagall was checking everyone's permission slips, which they'd had no trouble with. After that, they had to endure Argus Filch repeatedly poking and prodding them with security sensors to make sure they weren't smuggling illegal contraband out of the school. A few very awkward minutes later, they arrived at the carriages.

"My lady," he said, opening the carriage door for her and helping her enter it.

"You're being very gentleman-like," Daphne commented as Harry sat down next to her.

"What can I say? You have that effect on me," Harry replied without missing a beat.

"Flattery will not get you brownie points with me Potter," she reminded him even though she laughed happily at his comment.

"But what if it's not flattery Greengrass?" asked Harry, raising an eyebrow.

"Then I've just found a potential boyfriend," said Daphne snuggling closer to Harry and resting her head on his shoulder. Harry had no response to that.

"Hogsmeade changed a lot since we were last here," Harry commented as he helped Daphne off her carriage.

"Yet it's still the same," said Daphne finishing Harry's sentence. The last time both of them had been here was on Daphne's 8th birthday and since it hadn't been snowing that day, Hogsmeade had reminded them of a quaint village they'd once visited in the summer.

Hogsmeade was a small picturesque village consisting of cottages, shops and pubs, with enchanted candles similar to the ones in the Great Hall but they hung in the leafless trees. There was snow everywhere and the whole village was something you'd see on the front of a Christmas card.

"So, where do you want to go first?" Harry asked as they held hands and began walking around the village.

"I was thinking we should go to the book shop," suggested Daphne. "You know, get the boring stuff out the way."

"Fine," agreed Harry, suppressing a frown. "But you have to come to the Quidditch shop with me as well," he said and she groaned.

Harry and Daphne walked out of the Quidditch shop having completed all their boring shopping in a record time. Unlike many people in Hogsmeade, they were not laden with bags since they'd shrunk them down to fit into their pockets. "So where is Daphne next?" asked Harry.