Chapter 38 : Yule Ball

Chapter 38

Severus Snape stood in front of the 4th years in the Common Room, having already told the years above about the Yule Ball.

"The Yule Ball is approaching — a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above — although you may invite a younger student if you wish," he said dryly. "The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to...relax," he said, in a disapproving voice.

Several students snorted at this, seeing the funny side since they doubted Snape had ever relaxed in a day of his life.

"But that does NOT mean," Professor Snape went on, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. Any student that embarasses the school, and more importantly Slytherin House, in any way can expect to suffer my...severe displeasure," warned Snape threateningly. "That will be all," he said and the students began to disperse.

"Potter," called Snape in barely a whisper. "In my office."

"What did you do?" asked Daphne.

"Apart from being too handsome for my own good, nothing," shrugged Harry as he proceeded confusedly to Snape's office.

"Potter, the champions and their partners —" began Snape instantly like he just wanted to get the conversation over.

"What partners?" said Harry.

Snape looked suspiciously at him, as though he thought he was trying to be funny. "Your partners for the Yule Ball, Potter," he drawled. "Your dance partners."

Harry let out a long groan and slumped into a chair. "Dance partners?" he asked disbelievingly. "I hate dancing."

"Well you'll have to suck up and deal with it," said Snape. "Traditionally, the champions and their partners open the ball."

"No way am I dancing," said Harry stubbornly. "Not in a million years."

"It is traditional," said Snape firmly. "You are a member of Slytherin House, and I will not have you embarrassing us in front of the rest of the school and Beauxbaxtons and Durmstrang. So make sure you get yourself a partner, Potter."

"Fine," said Harry, unhappily getting up from his chair and walking out of Snape's office.

The next day Harry sat in the Common Room, having asked Daphne to the ball the previous day, currently talking with Daphne and Astoria, the latter of whom was complaining about the fact that she couldn't go to the Yule Ball.

"Why did they have to make it for 4th years and above only?" she asked grumpily.

"Because anyone under that age is not mature enough," answered Daphne flippantly, well used to her sister's grumpy moods.

"Why don't you ask someone in our year to go to the ball with you?" Harry suggested leaning over to see what Daphne was writing, and was thoroughly disappointed when it ended up being homework. "Really," he said to her whilst Astoria was thinking hard. "You're actually doing the optional assignment?" he asked almost disappointedly.

"Yeah well after 3 Pores on my End of Year History Tests in a row, my parents said they'll force me to share a room with her," Daphne pointed at Astoria despairingly, "unless I get my grades up."

"I'm glad my grandparents have acknowledged History's curriculum's uselessness and don't care what I get in it unless it's a Dreadful or a Troll," said Harry happily. "Which means I only have to do the bare minimum."

"Lucky you," grumbled Daphne. "Oh and Harry's idea's not gonna work," she said to a still thinking Astoria. "A 4th year or above has to ask YOU out, not the other way round."