Chapter 29 : Marriage Contract!

Chapter 29

Here in Greengrass Castle

Daphne Greengrass was happy to be home again from America. Just after dinner, her Mother and Father had told her that they wanted to talk. When Daphne arrived in the room where her parents were waiting to talk to her, she could see her parents' uneasiness by which she was alarmed something serious had happened.

Daphne "Mum Dad tell me what is it that you wanted to talk to me about and why are you two looking so serious tell me what exactly is this about Mum Dad?" she asked confused.

Cyrus Greengrass took a deep breath. "Before I tell you, you need a brief lesson in history. Almost two hundred years ago, a son of one of the cadet branches of the Potter family, teamed up with others who wanted to see the family's destruction and killed all the members of the cadet lines. This incident is commonly known as the Potter Massacre. But he was unable to destroy the main line, the reason is not really known as details are sketchy and the Potters are notoriously known for being secretive, so no one knows what happened. It was several years later that William Potter, the great-great-grandfather of your friend Harry made a contract with your ancestor Steffen Greengrass. It said that if either of the families did not have a male heir, then a marriage contract would be enacted so that no one takes advantage of either family's immense wealth or political power. And this contract has come into effect now. There is an unbreakable marriage contract between you and Harry Potter" he said softly.

Daphne stared into space as millions of thoughts went through her head. Anger, hurt, betrayal, fear were the primary ones. She was betrothed to Harry? And from the looks of it, he knew and didn't tell her about it! She swallowed as tears filled her eyes. She had always wanted to make a name for herself. She was a natural when it came to Potions and Charms and she had always dreamed of being a very successful enchantress, inventing new magical devices and earning recognition all over the world. She had also thought she could take over her family's business one day and also her father's Wizengamot seat so as to enter politics. And now, she was betrothed to her best friend. Yes she did like him but he didn't tell her about the contract. She hated him and She didn't respond to her Parents as she ran to her room, and cried. She cried for the future she could never have.

At 5 PM the next evening, Harry and his Grandparents flooed to Greengrass Castle. As they stepped out of the fireplace, his Grandfather automatically flicked his fingers and the soot disappeared.

Elizabeth Greengrass was waiting for him. Dorea handed her a bouquet of lilies and said, "These are for you, Lady Greengrass. I thank you for welcoming us into your home."

"You're welcome Lady Potter. This way, please" she said, taking them to the drawing room.

Charlus saw the Greengrass Lord as he entered the room he said, "Lord Greengrass, it's a pleasure to meet you again. Thank you for inviting us to your home."

"The pleasure is mine, Lord Potter. Please take a seat" he said gesturing to the couch. Harry and his grandparents sat down, and Lord Greengrass began as he turned to Harry .

"I'll come straight to the point. I've been told by my account manager at Gringotts that you know that the contract is unbreakable unless we have a male heir. And I was worried when you told me to not tell daphne about the contract but I was happy and shocked to have a letter from Lord Potter to reveal the contract to daphne but nonetheless we wanted to get to know you and for you to become comfortable with us."Harry nodded slowly. He could understand that, but there was one question which was prevalent in his mind.

"Lord Greengrass, how did Daphne take the news?" he asked softly. He really felt bad about the whole affair. From their experiences in the last few years, Harry knew that Daphne was a very ambitious girl and had big dreams for her future. She probably thought they were crushed and he wanted to set her straight.