Chapter 40 : 2nd Task II

Chapter 40

The next morning, Harry got up and meditated for a few hours to reinforce his Occlumency shields. Once done, he carefully packed the Gillyweed potion in a secure glass bottle, took a bath, and came out of the bathroom. Once done, he looked at the blue swimming trunks his Grandmother had bought for the task. It was a snug fit, and he wouldn't be wearing anything else, but he didn't care. Clothes would hinder his mobility underwater and if the first task was anything to go by, he could use all the advantage he could get.

Harry put on the trunks and wore a cloak to cover his body. He asked a house elf to give him some light breakfast and once done, he checked to ensure everything he wanted was with him, took the case of the gillyweed potion, and left the room. When he reached the entrance hall, Rigel and Draco were waiting for him.

"Harry," Rigel said nervously. "Are you sure this would work? I've brought gillyweed in case you change your mind"

"It's fine, Rig," said Harry calmly. "I've checked that the potion indeed works. Do you have the parchment I gave you?" he asked turning towards Draco

"Yes," said Draco, patting his pocket. "I'll give it to Bagman when he starts to wonder what exactly you used to breathe underwater."

Harry chuckled as they made their way to the middle of the black lake.There were enormous stands constructed around the lake for the thousands of people who had come to watch. Potter's oversized mirrors were placed at every corner so that people could monitor the champions' progress. Harry, Rigel, and Draco went to the stand in the middle of the lake that was meant for the champions and judges. All of his family which included Blacks, Greengrasses and Malfoy's were already waiting for them there.

"Ready?" asked Sirius, his usual joyful demeanour gone

.

"As ready as I ever will be," said Harry

.

"Harry, I know dad had sent you some potion. Have you tried it, does it work properly if it doesn't we could still figure something out," James asked, the fear of losing Harry in this task evident in James's eyes.

"Yes dad it works, it was invented by Fleamont Potter don't you guys know?" Harry asked everyone, clearly irritated by answering everyone the same thing. James had his eyes wide open and a huge smile on his face when he heard Harry calling him Dad.

"NO we didn't, your Grandfather here was adamant not to tell us," Arcturus said pointing towards Charlus who just gave him a Potter grin.

"Shut it you two" Dorea warned them and hugged her grandson and told him to be safe and to look after his Brother who still was getting ready in his dorm.

Harry conjured a chair and sat down to meditate. Half an hour later, he opened his eyes to see that Thomas, Fleur and Victor had all arrived. It was nearly 11 AM, and it was time to start the task.

Harry and Thomas stood next to each other

Bagman pointed his wand at his throat and said, "Sonorus!" and his voice boomed out across the dark water toward the stands. "Well, all our champions are ready for the second task, which will start on my whistle. They have precisely an hour to recover what has been taken from them. On the count of three, then. One . . . two . . . three!"

The whistle echoed shrilly in the cold, still air; the stands erupted with cheers and applause. Without looking to see what the other champions were doing, Harry and Thomas pulled the Vial of Fillyweed out of their pockets, poured it into their mouth, and began swallowing. It was a horrible wet, damp taste with a bitter aftertaste as the Fillyweed made its way down their throats, and almost instantly they could feel it taking effect.