Chapter 8 : Confrontations

Chapter 8

Lucius noticed the sudden swirling of the shadows and turned sharply to his left and sighted Harry with a demonic grin on his face. Looking at the calm eyes and the demonic smile, Lucius gulped as it suddenly reminded him of another person, some fifty years senior to this child who possessed the power to bend shadows to his will. He too had this terrible smile as he unleashed this terrible power upon those who stood against him.

"Ha..Harry, please control yourself. You don't want to get caught airing your abilities just yet. Please." With a shaky breath, Lucius realized his voice was stammering involuntarily. Harry noticed his honorary uncle's fear and gave him a warm smile "Worry not uncle. It's just a harmless prank. I won't hurt them, physically, and if you're worried about me losing control, don't, because I am in absolute control here. Watch."

The rest of the group had noticed this exchange and watched with bated breath as Harry lowered his hand and the shadows sank back to its state of absolute motionlessness before Harry exerted control once again over the shadows. Specific shadows this time, belonging to the popular family.

The Potters and their group walked forward towards the alley, smiling and waving as the crowd parted to form a path for them, cheering and roaring unaware that the shadow of the boy who lived had gained awareness for a short while.

With a wicked gleam in its red eyes, the shadow became a blur as it completely vanished for a moment before reappearing and it butted the unsuspecting boy in his legs. Thomas never saw it coming.

The boy crashed into the ground and because the attack came with no warning whatsoever, he had no time to protect his face also, banged his chin hard on the stone paved ground which split and also bit his tongue hard due to the sudden pain and shock.

Thomas Potter lay dazed on his stomach in Diagon Alley, the wind knocked from his lungs, chin and tongue bleeding profusely, fat tears welling from his eyes as the masses began panicking seeing their hero fall from an attack they never expected. James Potter immediately drew his wand and cast a translucent shield around his son and his wife who was lifting him up and stopped them from being run over by the mob. He carefully scanned the area for invisible enemies before slowly bending down and checked on his son.

Other than the fact that he was in tears and had a cut on his chin and tongue and seemed ruffled, he seemed fine so he got up and cast a patronus which was in the form of a stag before he yelled "We've been attacked. Mostly by rogue death eaters. Need help. Get it to Alastor Moody. Now!"

A few of the braver citizens drew their wands and stood wearily with James and the Weasley parents standing guard as Lily consoled her crying son and wiped the tears from his eyes. James stood alert at his family's side, waiting to defend against an attack that would never come. The Grangers and the little Weasleys meanwhile huddled behind the group as they waited for things to calm down.

Harry watched gleefully at the sobbing twin brother of his and felt a guilty pleasure seeing him in that state. He quickly crushed any guilt he felt and was annoyed when he felt frantic tapping on his shoulders. He looked at Lucius who was speaking "We need to get out of here. We cannot be caught in the area where death eaters are suspected to be."

Bella and Rudolphous nodded quickly and Bella said "But the ant-apparition wards are still up. How can we get around them?"

Lucius cursed quietly and Harry figured the situation was indeed dire if it made the legendary cool Lucius Malfoy curse. He suddenly felt guilty for putting them all in this position. "I'm sorry guys. It's all my fault" Harry said, while scolding himself for his lack of control.

Bella gave him a quick smile and said "It's okay Harry. We will speak about it later. First we need to find our way to the exit."

They fought their way through the crowd, Lucius and Bella holding a transparent shield so strong it repelled the people that would have run into them. They almost made it to the archway entrance when a group of people rushed inside the alley.