Chapter 41 : 3rd Task I

Chapter 41

It was the night of the 3rd and final task.

Currently the champions stood outside of the entrance of the Quidditch pitch which had been transformed into a huge maze. The judges were sat at the high table whilst the champions' families were sat in the special VIP area, and the rest of the spectators were sat in the normal spectating area.

Floating above the maze were 4 giant mirrors that were arranged 2 by 2, each one currently showing the face of a particular champion. The mirrors had been designed by a company owned by Potters and would show each champion's progress. Hovering behind each champion was a smaller version of the giant mirrors that would follow them around, charmed invisible of course so the champions wouldn't be distracted by them.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! In first place, with eighty-nine points — Mr. Hadrian Potter of Potter Family!" The cheers and applause sent birds from the Forbidden Forest fluttering into the darkening sky. "In second place, with eighty-seven points- Mr. Thomas Potter of the Ashwood Family!" There was similar applause to this as well, though slightly less due to the fact the Gryffindors hadn't joined in.

"In third place with eighty points — Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!" More applause.

"And in fourth place — Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!" There was a smattering of polite applause from the Beauxbaxtons students.

"So . . . on my whistle, Thomas!" said Bagman. "Three — two — one —"

Bagman gave a short blast from his wand and the task had begun! Thomas Went into the maze first and then Harry followed him a minute or two afterwards. The maze was horribly lit but a jar of levitating bluebell flames quickly fixed, even if they only allowed Harry to see for a couple of metres ahead of him.

Suddenly, Harry felt something akin to a snake wrap itself around his leg. He looked to see a large bush of vines that had come out of the maze wall ferociously attacking his right leg, slowly pulling him down to the ground. He swished his wand and sent a cutting curse and some of the vines snapped, and a few more cutting curses later his legs were free and he could continue on.

A scream to Harry's left penetrated the cold air and Harry identified it as Thomas. He rushed forward into the maze furiously slashing everything that came into his path with a wide variety of hexes, and took the very first left he could. He emerged into a clearing where Thomaswas faced off against Lord Voldemort, seemingly back from the dead.

"Riddikulus!" cried Harry and the boggart turned into Voldemort dressed in the clothes of a 3 year old girl, and the crowd roared with laughter at that. "It was just a boggart," Harry consoled Thomas.

Thomas nodded shakily, still surprised at how easily he'd been rooted to the spot. "So now what?" he asked.

"We'll have to go forward and take the first right," replied Harry. "Then it's a matter of finding our way the best we can. It's not an amazing strategy, but it'll do."

"Why can't we just climb the walls?" asked Thomas as they began running into the maze.

Harry stopped suddenly and Thomas almost ran into him. "Thomas," he said, amazed. "You're a fucking genius."

"No need to thank me," retorted Thomas good-naturedly before taking on a more serious expression. "How are we gonna get up there though?" he asked.

"I'll levitate us both," answered Harry, swishing his wand. Harry and Thomas Felt a light tingling sensation around their body and they slowly travelled up through the air, and Harry flicked his wand to send them forward and they stepped on top of the walls of the maze.