Chapter 5 : Schooling in black manor, confrontations

Chapter 5

The location for the homeschooling of the rich pureblood heirs was never fixed. Every year, a Lord offered the services of his Manor, usually a trusted ally. It was an unwritten rule that each Lord could offer to host once, and he would have to wait until everyone else got a turn so that they could offer again. This year, it was hosted by Baron Arcturus Black at the Black Townhouse in London.

The floo roared to life and Baron Potter, accompanied by his heir, stepped out of the fireplace. Charlus waved his hand and all the soot on his and Harry's clothes vanished. He stepped forward and firmly shook the hand of the waiting Baron Black. His Lady Melania Black nee Selwyn offered him a small courtesy which he accepted with a smile.

Harry solemnly stepped forward, gave a deep bow of respect, and uttered "Baron and Baroness Black. Thank you for providing the opportunity for me to learn at your esteemed Manor."

He stepped forward and gave a deep bow to Arcturus Black and kissed the knuckles of Melania Black. "Lady Melania, your beauty increases day by day." Harry managed to say without stuttering and with a charming smile on his face. The effect was instantaneous. The Potter Baron quickly hid his smile while Arcturus gave a deep laugh. Melania Black meanwhile slapped him lightly on the chest and said "Shush you. The ladies better be careful when you start Hogwarts. My oh my, such a charming young devil."

"But grandma, you said I was the most charming young devil," Rigel whined, throwing a mock scowl at Harry for flirting with his grandmother. Melania fixed her grandson with an exasperated look. "Don't whine Rigel. It is beneath a child of your standing. Besides both of you are my charming boys and that's all I'm going to say."

Rigel smiled mischievously and said, "Besides you're too old for Harry anyways Grandma."

Arcturus interfered quickly seeing the blush on Harry's face and his wife's irritation. "Rigel, Harry, I expect you boys to be on your absolute best behavior. Playing games and silly jokes is funny with family only, and I refuse to hear that the heirs of Potter and Black behave like common hooligans as your fathers did at school. Understood?"

Harry nodded simply while Rigel responded with a crisp "Yes sir."

"Good. Now Harry, I trust you know your way around here." Arcturus asked, and upon his nod, "I suggest you make your way to the classroom then. Rigel will join you once he has greeted all the Lords and finished his responsibilities. Off you go, son."

Harry gave a small bow to Arcturus and called "Bye Grandfather" over his shoulder while walking as fast as he could to the classroom without outright breaking into a sprint. He looked back and he heard Rigel whine again "I wish the blond ponce would get here already. Even mom doesn't take as much time to dress up as Malfoy does, and mom's Lady Black!"

Chuckling at his best friend's impatience, Harry walked towards the second floor where a room had to be furnished to be used as a classroom for the young Lords and Ladies. As he walked up the curving black marble staircase, he looked around at the house he had visited almost every day and still could not believe the wealth on display there. It was no secret that some houses like Potters, Blacks, and the Longbottoms were filthy rich, but to see the opulent decoration that would make any collector salivate always amazed him.

The dark theme felt so natural to Harry, and he took quiet solace in the darkness as he made his way to the open door. For as long as he could remember, the darkness did not scare him. It was quite the opposite, he felt safe and protected in the shadows. He could remember how his twin would scream that there were haunting faces in the room when the lights were out, and it finally took him sleeping in Lily and James's room for him to keep quiet. Harry was left back in the nursery itself.