Rising from his ashes

Unyielding Devotion Eli and Aesop new S tier Phoenix 😳

_____

Born from the flames of the underworld unlike his peers, the sacred bird possessed mesmerizing indigo hair with shades of peacock blue and his eyes had the midnight blue intensity reminiscent of the starry sky of Cairo. Oh, such an ethereal-looking deity had almost no place on this earth, but as a counterpart to his beauty, the being went through an endless cycle of suffering, burning in his own flames only to be reborn from his ashes every half millennium. 

It was a painful process that required him to remain in extreme silence and serenity in order to completely rebirth himself. To do this, when his time came, he would lock himself in his gold and sapphire coffin, which had a void in its center showing the galaxy to prevent anyone from approaching it. The procedure could last a day, a month or even a year. No one knew when his awakening would come.

"It's already been three days..."

A male with tanned skin and wearing a cobra-shaped headdress stood facing the coffin, arms crossed. Beside him stood another man, this one wearing a golden eagle headdress to which several cloth fabrics were attached to form a cape behind his back. An impressive ruby sat above his head and his entire outfit was covered with gold and other gemstone adornments, even covering his eyes.

"This is your first time attending this event so you're not used to it yet but it usually takes much longer." said the one dressed in gold.

"By Anubis, and it's been ten millennia already since you've been through this?"

"It is not a punishment but rather an honor. It is my responsibility to assist him when he shall be reborn." he stated with a smile.

The cobra-headed god raised an eyebrow at the words spoken by the other. He was born fairly recently and had never seen the awakening of the midnight bird before. According to his fellows, it was something not to be missed, but how long would he have to wait before the latter was willing to come out of his tomb? He didn't understand how his friend the eagle managed to wait so calmly for all these centuries. Was it because of the bond the two shared?

"By the way, I've heard that there are some side effects every time, what about it?" the cobra asked.

The eagle's smile faded for a moment, and just as he was about to open his lips to answer, something caught his eye and he took a step toward the coffin. He moved. The other deity tried to say something but a sign from the golden bird silenced him on the spot. It was time. Finally. It was probably the first time his sleep had been so short, and the impatience was beginning to swell within the eagle as he saw the golden casket slowly open.

"It's-"

"Shh... He's not here yet..."

The cobra swallowed his saliva and took a step back at the eagle's indication. Already? Right now? When he had just told him a few minutes ago that it could last a whole year? He admitted that he was taken by surprise. It took another while before the sarcophagus opened completely, revealing a kind of cocoon, except that it was not made of threads but rather looked like a pair of wings wrapped around themselves.

Suddenly, blue flames shot out to ignite the shell which literally burst, a myriad of feathers in different shades of blue flying everywhere in the underground. The cobra had looked away from the heat and when his eyes returned to the coffin, there he was.

Black bandages covered his legs and arms. He wore a linen loincloth around his waist and as could be seen upwards, feathers covered his torso and back in the shape of a cross. A solid gold necklace rested on the top of his chest, holding a long torn cloth towards its end. His expression was still a bit confused by his awakening, his half-open eyes slowly showing the stars they hid in that midnight blue. Finally, a golden ornament in the shape of a bird graced his head, golden beads and blue feathers embellishing his hair reaching his shoulders.

"Aesop-"

The eagle abruptly stepped towards the phoenix, but the latter stopped him by raising his arm, then giving him a cold glare.

"Eli. Your voice is still as irritating..."

Hmm? The cobra, who was watching the scene from the side, raised an eyebrow. The nightbird's attitude was different from usual. Well, he was always like that with him, but this was the eagle we were talking about. The two deities were far from being strangers, it was in fact the complete opposite, so the way he addressed him so coldly... That's when it clicked in his mind, the aftermath of his rebirth.

So that was why Eli seemed to be upset earlier, he knew what was coming. Probably the reason why he just put on his traditional smile without saying anything. Aesop didn't remember him. At least not entirely, since he did remember his name, a positive sign at least. The phoenix glanced at the cobra before looking away, ignoring the two men to exit the catacombs and return to the surface, followed closely by the eagle.

When the duo reached the center of the pyramid, the blue-haired male walked through the corridors to his room accompanied by the golden-headed one, neither of them caring about what became of the cobra. They walked in silence through the sandy passageways without saying a word until the Phoenix stopped in front of a gaping doorway and stepped inside the bedroom. 

"I see your rudeness hasn't changed either since you allow yourself to enter my quarters without asking as always..." the phoenix muttered.

"Sorry, thanks for putting up with me for a while." he replied with a smile.

Aesop said nothing and simply went to lie down on his bed with silk sheets. The process had been extremely short this time so a lot of his energy was missing.

"How are you feeling?"

Eli walked around the room and came to sit on the edge of the bed next to the other, not caring if his presence was wanted or not.

"Like a mummy."

"Is that so." he held back a laugh, "Would you like me to help you fall asleep? You seem pretty agitated to me."

The blue-eyed male looked at the one with the golden mask with confusion. He tried to get up to ask him what he was going to do, but was stopped by a pair of hands pressing his arms against the mattress and then a pair of lips sealing his own. Such impudence, he thought. However, this touch was not as horrible as what he was imagining.

What was this strange heat seizing his chest and the rest of his body ... He was not exactly sure that this method was supposed to help him find sleep but he said nothing and simply slipped his tongue into the other's mouth, mingling with his to exchange their saliva. Their lips brushed against each other, glued together, pulling apart to meet again, more passionately each time. 

"Do you even listen to what people say?" said the phoenix between breaths.

"It depends." he replied mischievously.

Aesop grumbled before suddenly tugging Eli to drop him onto the bed, then positioning himself over him with a cheeky grin and bending down near the other's ear to whisper in a seductive voice,

"I'd like to see you shudder."

"You'll break your back."

"I don't care."

The eagle laughed softly and ran his hand behind the other's neck to draw him back into an embrace, to which the phoenix responded. His memory might still be hazy but his instincts were still the same apparently. All of this was only a matter of time before the latter could remember everything and be the one trembling with shame at his own actions...