The Moon's Sacrifice

Lunar Phase Eli x Phoenix Aesop

Fantasy AU

______

The world was far from being a blissful utopia.

Demons were rampant outside and anyone foolish enough to cross the barrier, would be gone forever. That was the way things were and nothing could change that. However, in this pool of darkness, there was one place where light still shone. A small village lost between the woods and the mountains also known as Oletus...

Yet, this citadel did not stand on its own, far from it. To fight the evil beings that roamed around, they offered a sacrifice to their god every decade to strengthen the power of the barrier. Which god will you ask? The god of the Moon. The lands were constantly immersed in a curtain of night and the glow of the star was the only light.

A soul in exchange for the prosperity of others.

A grim yet honorable act.

This year, the sacrifice was none other than the grandson of the village mayor. A young man whose hair was like the starry sky, he was called Aesop Carl, but some also called him Phoenix. On the day of the decennial ritual, the male had been specially prepared for the occasion, he had been dressed in the finest traditional outfit and no detail had been left out, the feathers in his hair giving him a dignified look.

"It's time Phoenix." said a deep voice.

A tall figure stood behind him, his face was covered by the hood of his cloak and gave him a certain menacing look but the boy was not afraid. He didn't feel much to be honest, all he could think about was getting the job done. He didn't look behind him once, not wanting to be distracted, and walked resolutely towards the door.

The moon was engraved on the door, along with the other stars that surrounded it and strange symbols. Oddly enough, it was located in the middle of the chapel. It seemed to lead to nowhere at first glance, but it was in fact an illusion because when Aesop opened the door, the canopy of heaven was in front of him. He froze for a moment, his hand tightening briefly on the handle, then he let go and entered.

The portal closed behind him before slowly disappearing into dust...

The ritual was a success. 

Thus, the village resumed its normal course and all forgot who was the sacrifice of this decade. On his side, the male seemed to be lost in a strange place, it looked like the starry sky but every step he took created a circle as if he was walking on water. Was this heaven? Maybe it was hell. He continued walking, again and again, aimlessly. Then he stopped.

There was an obstacle in front of him. A sort of huge blue moon with a cavity in it... and a person. A young man dressed in white and gold. He was lying in the strange seat and didn't seem to pay any attention to him until he suddenly stood up and approached him. His eyes were covered by a golden mask with a sapphire embedded in it.

"Well, it's that time of the year already?"

Phoenix said nothing.

"So, where would you like to go? A blooming island or maybe a modern city?"

He tilted his head to the side, confused by the man's words.

"Is that... purgatory?"

"What?" he opened his mouth slightly, "I'm just asking- Oh, I forgot, this village is completely ignorant. Forgive me, let me make this clear, I am the God of the Moon."

The man in white exclaimed proudly and Aesop simply looked at him with a neutral gaze, there was nothing surprising about this statement to be honest since he had been told that he would be a sacrifice to this same god. Well, that was not the question and his had still not been answered. So what were these strange places the deity spoke of?