The Masked Boy

Modern au

Angst & pain nom nom nom

Lemme cry and enjoy your tears

_____

He was... like a caged bird.

"My name is Aesop Carl and you?"

"E-Eli Clark..."

Their first meeting was at the playground, the dark-haired boy walked by there every day when he was walking home from school. One day he spotted another boy he had never seen before swinging alone on the swing. He was curious. The next day, the boy was still there, his silver hair was quite unusual and the mask he wore remained engraved in his mind.

Then... The third time, he decided to talk to him.

He was not sitting on the swing as usual but was standing on it, his hands firmly holding the chains on both sides in order not to fall. When the blue-eyed male entered his field of vision, he made a jump to get off and was about to leave but was held back by the other's call.

"C-Can we become friends!?"

The gray-eyed boy widened his eyes but they quickly squinted, indicating that a smile was hiding underneath. The brunet was charmed.

"What are you doing at school?"

Eli raised an eyebrow, didn't he go to school too? He looked about the same age as him.

"Hmm... You learn a lot of things!"

"What kind of things?"

"Uh well, history, math and lots of other things! We also do other activities like festivals!"

"That sounds like fun..."

"Don't you go to school?"

Aesop gave him another smile hidden behind his mask and looked ahead, his feet brushing the ground as he swung on the swing. Eli watched him from the corner of his eye, himself sitting on the other swing next to the boy. The gray-eyed male was quite mysterious, he was always there at the same time, in the same place, and the brunet would come to meet him.

There was something about this strange routine that both boys enjoyed even if neither of them said it out loud. No one passed by there since it was an old playground and a newer one had been built further away. But that was fine, it was quiet and no one was there to disturb them. It was just Eli and Aesop. 

Thus, their regular meetings continued for almost a month. They would spend an hour or two talking together, about anything and everything. Sometimes the brunet would bring back a thing or two to show the other, like a new game and sometimes a book. Nothing special and yet it was the best part of his day. Eli noticed that Aesop didn't know much about the world but didn't question him.

All that mattered to him was the present moment and the time he was spending with the boy. Each new day was a new thing to show him and the sparkle in his eyes each time he discovered something was priceless. As time went on, Eli noticed that something had changed in him. His heart beat faster when he saw Aesop, and his face sometimes began to heat up.

He didn't know what to call this feeling but it wasn't something unpleasant, on the contrary. He felt like he was floating on a cloud and had butterflies in his stomach.

"Don't you ever take off your mask?"

"Oh, I don't have to keep it on but it's become a habit to have it on."

"I'd like to see your whole face..."

"Hm... It's a little embarrassing when you put it that way..."