Ace of Diamonds

Alice in Wonderland AU

CW: beheading, blood

Here I come with a Valentine fic- It was supposed to be smth like 2k long at first but I changed my mind about the main details and it ended up being 7k

_____

In Wonderland, two kingdoms were at war. On one side we had the Red Cards with hearts and diamonds and on the other, the Black Cards with spades and clubs. The two nations had been in conflict for years, decades, centuries. Each was constantly pointing its blade at the other's throat, ready to spill blood at any moment and make women widows with fatherless families.

However, there was a time for everything, a time for war and a time for peace. After constant battles and bodies piled on top of each other, the two sides had finally decided to come to an arrangement. The terms of a treaty had been discussed and to show the good faith of the Red Cards, who were surely the more belligerent, they decided to send two emissaries to the neighboring kingdom to pass on the parchment of the agreement.

The first was a young man usually positioned in the palace guard. He had a scar on his face and wore clothes in black and dark yellow tones with checkered patterns all over, a long coat reached his ankles and a cap with two cards on it was placed on top of his head. He was a rather quiet man, often smiling and seemingly surrounded by mystery.

The second man had less presence than this one but he still had his own charm with his silver hair. He was one of the men in charge of the preservation of the books in the royal library. Like the books that had no mouths, he was a young man of few words. Dressed entirely in black except for his white puffed-sleeved shirt and ruffle, a short cape was draped around his shoulders. He often walked around with a few cards in his hands and used them as a way to calm his anxiety.

When they were informed of their mission given exclusively by the king, the two men quickly packed their things to leave for the Black Cards. However, before they set foot outside, they went to the throne room to exchange courtesies with the rulers who still seemed to have the energy to say anything and also to retrieve the reason for their trip.

"Norton Campbell as well as Aesop Carl!"

A platinum-haired, blue-eyed man in an ermine coat sat in an imposing purple armchair with goldwork in heart shapes. Beside him sat a woman in an identical chair, giggling and holding a glass of red wine between her delicate fingers. She took a sip of the liquid, her dark eyes now resting on the two emissaries with an inquisitive look.

The gray-haired male shuddered under the pressure of her gaze and looked down, his fingers twitching behind his back as his colleague smiled widely, seeming to glow with confidence. Which was surprising when the two people in front of them were none other than the king and queen of the Red Cards kingdom and their heads could be chopped off at any moment at the slightest faux pas.

"Nothing could fill me with more joy than to see my two most devoted servants! I hope you know the importance of your visit to the neighboring kingdom and that you will enjoy your short stay there!"

The king sketched a big smile before clapping his hands. A butler then stepped out of the shadows with a cloche resting on a velvet cushion and stopped right in front of Norton before lifting the object in steel to reveal a parchment sealed with a wax stamp. The document concerning the peace treaty. The dark-eyed male contemplated the paper for a moment before taking it in his hands and bowing briefly.

"Well, now that this is done, I wish you a successful adventure my friends!"

The two men bowed again to the rulers before leaving the throne hall, not doubting for a moment another possible meaning behind the king's words or even that other shadow hidden behind the curtains.