The Bird and the Snake

Hunter Night Owl x Hunter Exorcist

____

"Another crushing victory? You should give them a break once in a while." said a singsong, annoying voice.

The red leather-clad figure turned to face the masked man hiding behind the door, his bloodshot eyes coming to glare at the latter who only sneered before straightening up. This one approached him, again and again, one step after the other, until he was a little too close to him for his taste. His fingers covered by a glove similar to that of the falconers came to seize his chin, his lips forming a smile.

"Let go of me." he replied dryly.

"Oh? What else are you going to do?" the other provoked.

The gray haired male hissed in annoyance before slapping the other's hand away.

"I'm not like you."

"Ha. Indeed, how could a snake like you compare to the poise of my feathers?"

"Keep your head up, so you won't see me sneaking behind your back to bite you."

"Only threats..."

Suddenly, at these words, the male in red disappeared. The blue-eyed one widened his eyes at this scene before shivering. His body suddenly froze and he felt only one thing at that moment... fear. Wrapping itself around his waist and up to his shoulders, a white figure with two red eyes crawled up to his neck and dangerously opened its mouth to reveal its fangs. A snake.

"That's not funny." he said with a smirk.

The snake then regained the form of the red-masked male, still behind the blue-eyed one, its sharp teeth now replaced by a short sword that was pressed against the other's throat.

"I told you, and I thought you knew me well enough to know that I never joke."

He withdrew his sword and shoved the male wearing a long dark blue coat before huffing and turning on his heels to return to his chambers. The male left behind rubbed his neck lightly and sighed. A petty smile quickly forming on his lips as he looked in the direction of the hallway where the other had left, now empty.

"Oh, but what do I really know about you...? Aesop Carl..."

Oletus Manor. A prison in which most of its residents had come of their own free will without knowing the fate that awaited them or that they would be unable to escape once they had set foot in the mansion. The manor was divided into two parts, two factions, the survivors and the hunters.

On the side of the hunters, there were two people who were quite famous and feared at the same time. One was a male with silver hair and scarlet eyes. Aesop Carl, also called Exorcist. This hunter was quite annoying because one of his abilities allowed him to change into a snake quite frequently during the game, unable to be detected by the survivors' radar in this form.

Unfortunately for those rats too busy decoding, it was easy for him to surprise them and take them down directly. He felt no remorse for his tactics and was always cold and cruel to them. Then there was the other individual, another mysterious man by the name of Eli Clark, nicknamed Night Owl, always wearing his robe and coat, and who could take the appearance of a huge blue owl.

Unlike Aesop, Eli was also the brutal and cruel type, but he was always less so and preferred to have fun with the survivors instead of hunting them. He found them interesting and entertaining. And if he really had to hunt them, he knew he would win easily. Anyway, the relationship between these two was somewhat... heated.

It was only natural, one was a snake and the other a bird. Two predators hunting each other. It was impossible for them to communicate other than by death threats or sneak attacks. They were simply destined to bicker continuously. Some had tried to reconcile them, but to no avail. However, despite the storm that was rumbling between them, some could not help but see some sparks.

Aesop had threatened Eli, giving him a cut here and there with his sword, but he had never gone further than that. Was it the fear of being punished by the host? No, the Exorcist was not the type to worry about that. Night Owl also seemed to have noticed this detail because it was after he realized this that he came to bother the male even more often.

But who would be crazy enough to voluntarily hang out with his enemy? People did not understand why Eli was acting like this and this is what began to raise their suspicions. Despite everything and the little effort they made to hide their discussions, Aesop was not aware of what was being said. He was already avoiding communicating with others in the first place so the opposite would actually be quite surprising. 

Nevertheless... Maybe the other inhabitants of the manor were not totally wrong.

Today, Aesop returned from a rather tough match, the team of survivors was made up of rather skilled kiters and the decoder always managed to escape from his clutches every time. He had managed to get a tie but was now exhausted and needed a rest. He didn't spare a glance on his way and went straight to his room, dropping onto his bed.

His rest was not of long lasting unfortunately, the sound of his door opening coming to pull him out of his daze. No need to look up to find out who it was. The door closed softly and the figure slowly approached him before sitting on the edge of his bed. Aesop grunted slightly before turning his head to meet him face on.

"Didn't anyone ever teach you to knock?" he said sarcastically.

"I thought no one was in and I could use the opportunity to set a trap." a deep, low voice replied.

A delicate hand then rested on the silver hair of the male, the other was not wearing his glove so it was currently pleasant. The way his long fingers passed between his locks and caressed his head... He could almost hibernate like this. The hand then came to rest against his cheek and it was surprisingly warm. Or rather, it was just him having the cold blood.

"Are you okay?"

"Do I look okay...?" he replied in a weak voice, his eyelids closing slowly.

"No. That's precisely why I came to see you." This time his voice was quieter than before, and he could hear an ounce of concern in it. "It was Leo's Memory, right?"

The Exorcist let a faint sound escape from his voice to nod. He hated this place more than anything, and the fact that the survivors he'd fallen against were the tough kind made it even worse. The snakes were cold-blooded, so they didn't do well in low temperatures. Every time he found himself on that map, he would return to his room completely drained of energy, lethargic. 

Nevertheless, that warm hand on his skin every time was a great comfort and without knowing it, he found himself craving for more. Sensing the feelings inside him, the one sitting down came and leaned slightly over his face. His warm breath brushed against the gray-haired man's face and he closed the space between their lips.

The Exorcist then opened his eyes with a flutter, his pupils meeting a pair of sparkling blue eyes and a few platinum strands obscuring his vision. The kiss was both sweet and passionate, a strange mixture of hot and cold. He then passed his arms around the shoulders of the other in order to attract him closer, his tongue coming to dance with his, it was probably one of the rare parts of his body which were hot.

Their embrace lasted a few more moments before their lips finally parted. Night Owl pressed a kiss to his forehead before giving him a soft smile.

"Is there anything in particular you need me to do?" he asked.

"Just... Stay with me... It's cold..."

"As you wish..."

And just like that, the male dressed in his night blue robe came and slid into the bed next to the other in red. He pulled up the blanket on them and passed his arms around the waist of the latter in order to stick to him and to convey his body heat. The Exorcist still had his arms around his neck, his face buried against the other's chest and his mind slowly wandering to the land of dreams...

This was really the best way to warm up, he thought.

Naturally, they were enemies. This glaring difference between their species had only brought them closer together in some ways. Outside, they would have been considered traitors and would have been directly banished, but they were not outside. Indeed, some might consider this place a hell, but for them who had committed a grave sin, it was their paradise.