Flaws and Sickness

Recluse Eli x Rorschach Aesop

Tw: Minor character death, a bit of violence

______

"Thank you, doctor."

"My pleasure."

The man rose from the chair and said his goodbyes to the dark-eyed male then left the office. He made a detour to a patient's room before leaving and sat on the stool next to the bed. A young blonde woman was lying on it, her skin was pale and tubes were connected to her body to provide the nutrients she needed during her deep sleep.

The brunet looked at her for a long moment, a faint smile on his lips. He took her hand in his, feeling a bit of her warmth that still confirmed that life was flowing into her. Finally, he bent down to place a kiss on her forehead and then left the hospital room. He had nothing to do in a hurry that day so he decided to go to the garden.

Dark circles were visible under his eyes and he could see the fatigue in his eyes. He arrived for a few seconds in the courtyard with some benches and saw no one. His hand rummaged in his pocket for a moment and took out a cigarette and a lighter. He burned the end and then placed it between his lips, pulling it out to exhale a cloud of smoke. Suddenly, he heard the door leading outside open and turned around.

"You're still here?"

"Oh, doctor, it's you."

The male nodded slightly before approaching him slowly, his footsteps making almost no sound. Aesop Carl, the doctor in charge of his fiancée's recovery, Gertrude. The young woman had always had a fragile condition since her childhood and often had to stay at home. However, her health had been seriously deteriorating lately and she had to be transferred to the hospital for treatment. 

The doctor was quite a charming person and very kind in spite of his quiet, self-effacing temperament, he was sure that Gertrude would recover in no time thanks to him.

"You shouldn't smoke, Mr. Clark."

"Sorry, it's just a habit."

He laughed nervously before tossing his cigarette to the floor and crushing it with his foot.

"Thank you for taking care of Gertrude."

"I'm just doing my job."

"All the same, can I buy you dinner to say thank you?"

"I... No."

The dark-haired man widened his eyes.

"Why not?"

"I can't leave the hospital."

"Oh, I see. Perhaps another time then?"

The doctor didn't answer anything and simply glanced at the brunet before leaving again. Strange but not unusual. The male was not very talkative and it was hard to know what he was thinking. Anyway, Eli was not one to criticize and had nothing to say about it. However, he was concerned about the latter's social life, he was rather handsome and a gentleman and yet he only seemed to talk with the nurses for work.

The latter always seemed to be present when he visited Gertrude, it was as if he lived here.

A week passed. Gertrude was still hospitalized and Eli had come to visit her again. On the way to his fiancée's room, one of the nurses suddenly called out to him.

"Oh, Mr. Clark isn't it?"

"Yes?"

"You've come to see your fiancée, haven't you? I just wanted to tell you that she seemed to be in better shape today!"