-Thirty Six-

James stared at the wall of pranks items in front of him, his mouth wide in shock. 

"Come on, dad. This way!" He heard a boy's voice shout. James turned to see a boy a few years older then him with dark black hair, dragging his father, towards them. The boy stopped directly in front of James. "Sirius-""Sirius! That's my middle name!" James shouted. Sirius's eyes widen as a smile grew on his face. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Sirius Malfoy," Sirius said, extending his hand. James grinned. "James Potter," The two boys had hardly noticed the older man pale. 

James stood outside the house with his mother. His father had refused to come after James had told him who the little boy was. The door opened and a lady with a black hair stood in the doorway. "Sorry, we don't want what you're selling," She said. 

Ginny shook her head. "Oh no, uh, we're here for a play date with..," Ginny trailed off not knowing the little boys name. "Sirius," James pipped up. Astoria smiled and nodded. "So you're his friend he's been talking about?" Astoria asked. She looked up at Ginny, stepping out of the way. "Come in, come in," 

Ginny tilted her head. "I don't know, I mean...""Actually, why don't the boys just play out here?" Astoria offered, not wanting to cause a scene. Ginny nodded, glad something had been thought up. 

Astoria held her finger up. "One moment, I'll be back with Sirius," The door shut and a few minutes later the door creaked open. "James!" Sirius shouted. "I'm so glad you're here. I can't wait to show you my train set. I have this huge train set and it's so much fun-""Actually Siri, we're playing outside today," Astoria explained. She appeared in the doorway holding the hand of a little girl with long blonde hair and a little boy with bright blond hair on her hip. 

Ginny's eyes widened. She hadn't realized that the Malfoy's had been so busy. Sirius looked up at Astoria and pouted. "But, mommy," Sirius whined. Astoria shook her head. "It'll do you some good to play outside. Come on," Astoria said. 

Astoria and Ginny sat underneath the gazebo in the backyard of Malfoy Manor as the kids ran around. Astoria watched as Cassiopeia ran up to the boys. The little girl had picked her own outfit out today, something Astoria wasn't too happy about. 

She was wearing jeans and a plain white t-shirt and her hair was in a loose braid over her shoulder. Astoria watched as Cassie tapped Sirius's shoulder. "Wanna play tag?" She asked. Sirius went to answer but James beat him to it. 

"No, you have cooties," James sung. Cassie crossed her arms over her chest. "I do not. You're the one with cooties," She shot back. James shook his head frantically. "Anyways, girls can't play with boys," He said. Cassie huffed and shoved James. "Yes they can!" 

James was pacing the waiting room as his hands tangled into his hair. James looked up as the waiting room doors slid open. The entire family piled in. Teddy hurried over to James, placing a hand on his shoulder. He was still in his suit and Vic in her dress. "I'm sorry, Mate. We just heard," He whispered. 

Victoire hurried over. "Are they okay?" She asked. At the question, James broke down, shaking his head. "I don't know," He sobbed. Teddy was quick to pull James into a hug. "Where's Harry and Ginny?" He asked. James pulled away from the hug. "Dad's at the office and Mum went to Malfoy Manor," James mumbled. "And Mr. Malfoy?" Victoire asked. "Back with Cassie. They won't let me go back," James whispered. 

Teddy's brows furrowed. "So you've been here all alone?" He asked. James looked up, nodding. "I can't leave," He whispered. Teddy nodded. "We're not asking you to. Just take a seat," Teddy and Victoire led him towards a chair and helped him to sit down. 

"Where is she!" James heard a voice shout. He squeezed his eyes shut, not having the heart to look Scorpius in the face. Scorpius stood in front of James as Rose clung to his side. There were tears streaming down his cheeks. "Where's my sister?" Scorpius asked, his voice softer and quieter than the first time. James shrugged. 

"She's been back there for hours. No one's come to update me," James whispered. Scorpius's felt like his legs were going to give out but Rose helped him stand straight. "She's alive right? Please tell me she's alive," Scorpius pleaded. James slowly peeled his eyes opened and he stared at Scorpius for a minute. "I don't know, Scorp. I don't know anything at the moment," James was trying to keep his cool, knowing Scorpius was just as worried as he was. 

The doors to the exam rooms flew open and James's head shot up. Draco stood in the door way, his expression was neutral. "Cassie's okay," Draco said. Scorpius let out a breath of relief and pulled Rose into a hug, burying his face into her hair. James felt a huge amount of his worry leave, just to be replaced again. He searched Draco's face and the older man smiled. 

"Why don't you come meet your daughter, James?" Draco whispered. James jumped up. "They're okay? Both of them?" James asked. Draco nodded. "For now," He stated. "Cassie's asleep as of right now and the baby....she might not make it through the night," Draco glanced around the waiting room. 

"Why don't we talk somewhere more private?" Draco offered. James stood up, nodding. Scorpius went to follow but Draco turned to him. "Scorp, this is a conversation for me and James," Draco explained. "You stay here. I'll come and get you in a little bit when you can see Cassie," 

Scorpius shook his head. "Dad, she's my sister," Scorpius whispered. Draco nodded. "I know, Scorpius but this conversation isn't about your sister," Draco said. Scorpius nodded and back off, taking Rose's hand in his. 

James and Draco sat in an office. James had a cup of coffee while Draco used magic to stir his tea. "James, the baby wasn't due for another few months. There's a few low survival rate when a child is born at 22 weeks," James shook his head. "She's going to make it through this. She's a Potter," James said. Draco sighed. "I'm not saying she isn't, I'm just saying you should be prepared," Draco leaned forward. "I don't want it to happen either. It'll completely destroy Cassie," 

James bit his lip. "What are the chances?" James asked. Draco sighed. "About 10 percent," Draco whispered.