Tree of Truth

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not offended anyone.]

***

Irene felt the same burning in her chest that made her lose control just yesterday.

Just when she thought she was going to lose it again, she felt a cool Mana that seemed to quench the sudden fire in her heart. It felt familiar because Lisa's Mana was also cool like that. But it was still different because after putting out the burning in her chest, the coolness of the strange Mana turned lukewarm.

A Mana was that neither hot nor cold could only belong to the little on in her womb.

[Winter, our baby boy.]

She gently placed her hands on her tummy. It seemed like her son noticed her anger rising up so he used his own Mana to calm her down. Winter was really special.

[Thank you, baby.]

"Irene, are you okay?" Duke Prescott asked worriedly. "Does your stomach hurt?"

Irene gasped when she realized that aside from Lisa, she was yet to share the happy news with her father. Well, she planned to tell him but she almost forgot about it because of the serious conversation they were having. "Father, I have good news for you," she said excitedly. "I'm pregnant now."

Her father looked shocked. And then he gave her a small smile. "Congratulations, Irene," he said warmly. The happiness was evident in his eyes. But there was also sadness in them. "Your mother would have been happy for you as well if she was still with us."

"I know that, Father," she said with a smile. "Actually, I plan to visit Mother's grave with Lisa to tell her about my pregnancy."

"Please do that."

"Father, will you come with us?"

He looked taken aback by her request. "But why would you want to bring me along? You should spend your free time with your family."

"We're family, Father," she gently reminded him. "Even if I'm already married and will have my own child soon, I will always be your little girl."

He looked touched by her words, but it seemed like he also felt awkward.

[Well, I can't blame Father because I don't remember being affectionate to him during my first life.]

But of course, she also wanted to change her relationship with her father this time.

"Alright, I'll accept your invitation," the duke said. "I want to visit your mother's grave with you and your family."

She smiled at that, and then got serious when she remembered what her father said a while ago. "Father, is it true that Her Royal Highness killed my mother?"

"Yes, but we don't have evidence to prove it," he fathers said grimly. "I told you that your mother died in an accident. That was true. But what I didn't tell you was when we found her body, her heart was missing."

She gasped at that. "Mother heart was ripped out?"

Her father nodded, his mood understandably turning sour. "Your mother trusted the princess even though we were warned by the Denver's." He smiled sadly. "She was that kind of woman; you know? Marianne would always try to see the good in others. Your mother had a big heart, and that heart caused her death."

"What happened, Father?" she asked, her chest tightening in pain. "What do you mean when you said Mother trusted the princess?"

"The Denver's told us that Her Royal Highness has a device that can detect Fire Mages. They sealed your mother's Mana so she wouldn't get detected. But unfortunately, the princess still found out about her blood when she got pregnant with you," the duke explained. "The Denver's didn't have the ability to conceal your heart, Irene."