The One and Only Sun

[ Neither the picture nor the content belongs to me. All the rights belong to the respective author. It is only used for entertainment purposes not to offend anyone.]

Let's continue

***

HE SUN was almost up when Lisa finished "interrogating" the people who tried to attack the mansion last night. When he was done, the basement where he imprisoned the assailants was painted with blood. He hated that he had to come back to this kind of job. But he would do anything to protect his family.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'm willing to become a bad guy for Irene. And now, for Winter, too.

"I'll take care of the rest, Your Grace," Captain Denver told him. "Please take a rest. You must be exhausted."

"I'm fine, Captain Denver. Thank you for worrying about me," he said while wiping off the blood in his hand using a white handkerchief. Then, he tapped the captain's shoulder. "I'll leave the rest to you, Captain Denver. I'll ask Miss Luna to assist you."

"That would be helpful, Your Grace."

"After I check on = Irene and Winter, I'll come back so the two of you could rest."

The captain just nodded, then he turned serious. "Your Grace, may I know if something happened to make Lady Nystrom that angry last night? Miss Luna didn't let me enter the room while she was giving birth to the duchess. But I could hear Lady Nystrom's loud cry back then."

His jaw clenched, and so did his fists when he remembered the tragedy that fell upon their family. " Irene received a call from our Father. Lord Prescott is gone now. He was killed by an unknown man..." He trailed-off when he remembered something. Then, his eyes widened in shock while looking at Captain Denver. "Lord Denver was with Father..."

Pain crossed the captain's amber eyes. "That's right," he confirmed. "Father passed down his emblem to me last night. That only means that he's gone now. After all, an emblem couldn't be passed down to an heir if his predecessor is still alive."

His heart went out to the captain. Irene would be devastated to hear this...

"If Lord Prescott was killed, then that means my father suffered the same fate," Captain Denver said in an understandably angry voice. "Duke Nystrom, did you get a clue as to who did to them from the conversation that Lady Nystrom had with Lord Prescott?"

He nodded. "We did. But can we talk about it once all of us have rested enough? I know that it's hard to do that at this moment. Still, I believe that we all need to rest first."

"I understand, Your Grace," the captain said. "Just like you, I had been into several wars, too. From there, I learned how important rest is. A knight should always take a break first before he fights a new battle. After all, a broken mind and an exhausted body will only get him killed."

"Thank you for understanding," Lisa said, then he held the captain's shoulders tight. "Captain Denver, please remember that the Nystroms are always here for the Denvers. We'll get through this together."

Captain Denver nodded, and when he spoke again, his voice cracked. "Thank you, Duke Nystrom."

***

WHEN Lisa arrived at the lobby of the mansion, he was surprised to see Irene waiting for her.

And it wasn't just her.

The ice incubator of Winter was floating beside his wife.

He also noticed Miss Luna standing behind her, and so were the servants of the mansion who greeted him politely.