57

The astonishing silence in the room was palpable, since no one could utter a word from Xie Lian's surprise, but finally someone broke it by calling the newcomer.

"Mom?"

"Jianjian?"

Noah was surprised to see his mom here, since the proposal and everything was spontaneous, and he planned to tell his mom later. But here she was, and he became more surprised by the other person who called his mom with a nickname so intimate and like something was caught in his throat.

"Yuwen Mo? Why are you here?" She looked straight at Yuwen Mo, who looked like he's just seeing a ghost. Then she narrowed her eyes at Xie Lian. "Is this why you call me here? By lying to me that my son has a fiance? That's low even for you, Dianxia." She turned herself around and got ready to leave the place when Yuwen Mo rushed forward and caught her hand in his, then he embraced her with tears in his eyes.

"Where have you been, Jianjian? Did you know that I have been searching for you, even until now? Is this just a dream? If so, please don't wake me up, I don't want to live in a world without you…"

Everyone was flabbergasted by the turn of events, even Noah. He never knew that his mom had any romantic relationship for as long as he lived. He only knew that she loved someone so deeply and couldn't move on, but he thought that the person whom she loved was his father. Now he wasn't so sure anymore.

Despite the heartfelt confession, Na'Lan Jian's expression did not change, nor did she push Yuwen Mo away from her. Only her eyes showed the tumultuous emotion that must have happened within her.

"Maybe we should take a breather first before we continue with another shocking revelation, like for example that Noah is Lan Wangji's uncle?" Shen Qingqiu quipped what everybody else was thinking out loud, and Noah looked at his mother in shock.

"Is it true?" Yuwen Mo looked at the woman beside him, "so… does this mean that Noah… is he…?" Yuwen Mo held Na'Lan Jian's hands and looked into her eyes.

"No. He's not your son. And that's the reason why I left you on our wedding day." 

The silence came once more, and it was an awkward one because even Yuwen Xing didn't know that her father was going to marry someone else. He never once mentioned this woman, ever.

"I think you should continue your talk in one of the more private rooms, don't you think?" Xie Lian moved forward and grabbed both of their hands, then led them inside. "Besides, I have something I need to talk to you too, Jianjian, and it's rather urgent." He turned around and spoke to Wei Wuxian. "You can continue the talk, we'll join you soon." Then he closed the door.

Wei Wuxian only sighed since she knew Xie Lian well enough that he had a plan. By inviting Noah's mother, she could guess what kind of things that they would talk about. Anyway, she would know later, for now she just continued the introduction and warned them about the danger that's lurking in the shadow, getting them to be prepared when they came out.

"Whew, any meeting in your family never fails to amuse us." Shen Qingqiu patted Wei Wuxian's back. "I get off better watching your family drama unfold than any telenovela, you know. Always the unexpected twist and turn."

"Ha ha, not funny at all." Wei Wuxian slapped his hand away. "So, shall we continue our talk? Where were we…" she almost forgot the point of their family meeting, and it seemed that the rest of the family was still in a daze too. Then He Xuan's phone rang, and he excused himself to take it since it was from the guard that he put to watch the man they found in the DollHouse. He talked for a bit then after that he looked at Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji.

"He's conscious, and he wants to see us."

The air inside the private room that Xie Lian, Yuwen Mo and Na'Lan Jian used were cool from the aircon, but Na'Lan Jian was sweating. It had been a very long time since she last saw Yuwen Mo and even now, her heart still beats too fast whenever he's near.