Five

Four hours we've been standing on this stall and we only have three students who signed up for the club. I've given hundreds of flyers to all of the students that passed by for the past four hours, yet our number still isn't increasing.

I'm starting to think that this whole organization flopped really bad. And I also feel bad for us.

Manta went back to the stall to get more flyers. I can't hear what she was saying but I think she was asking Tobias something. Tobias looked upset while talking to Manta. I gave one more flyer to one more student that passed by and headed back to the stall.

"News?" I said. Manta looked at the list on the table.

"Still on three." she said.

Tobias sighed. "This was a bad idea."

I knew he would say that. I saw it coming from a mile away. "You know it wasn't." I countered.

"I think it was, Elliot."

"No, it wasn't, Tobias." I snapped. I think I might have shouted. "Just wait. Alright? I'm sure more will come."

And then we waited. Two minutes. Five minutes. Six minutes. Eight. Then we got to ten. Still, no one has signed up for the club. "Nah, don't worry. We still have tomorrow." I said. I don't really know how to lighten up someone's mood but that'll do, I guess.

We packed up for the day and left the school but Tobias invited me to go to his man cave again. And so we went.

He was silent the whole walk. Must be really upset about what happened.

I am too, but I quite expected it to be that way. The organization was uncommon and really not interesting in the eyes of a stranger. I think no one would be interested in learning french and watching french movies and do other french stuff.

But it was cool. French is cool. A bit.

Once we arrived at the place, Tobias immediately grabbed a drink from his fridge and also handed me one. Then we drank in silence. He's still not talking.

"Hey," I said. "don't mourn like that yet. We still have tomorrow."

Tobias grinned. "I'm not mourning, Elliot. I'm thinking."

"Thinking?"

"Yes."

"What are you thinking?"

He didn't answer. We were silent. The world was silent. For a moment, I could hear the nature around us doing its own work. Then he'd stare at me.

"Would you leave me, Elliot?" he asked. "If I were your son, and I've done something terrible. Would you leave me?"

I didn't answer. I didn't know what to answer.

"What?" I said. It was stupid.

"If I've caused you bad things and might have fucked up your life," he said. "Would you leave me?"

His wicked brown eyes were still the same. But there was something to it. Something that was hidden a long time ago and is slowly showing again.

I shook my head and finally answered. "No." I said. "No, I wouldn't do that, Tobias." There was a smile in his face, but it was fake. I know a fake smile when I see one. And I didn't like it. "Why are you asking me this?" I asked.

"It's from a book that I've read," he said. "It was sad and—well, sad. Just sad. And it has been in my mind for days now."

"What is it?"

"Would you be interested in reading it?"

"Honestly, no." I answered. "I'm not really a fan of reading."