Thirteen

His panic attacks weren't showing. Tobias was all fine so far. Of course, he still have his contagious smile on his face. But that didn't stop me from checking on him every time. I felt like I was always paying attention on him, I couldn't see myself anymore. Maybe I didn't want that.

"But Tobias certainly needs to be checked."

"Not at all times, Elliot." Manta said. "Don't make your relationship with him feel like a necessity that you need to do-or a demand that you're doing because you have to."

"What if it triggers again? What if it triggers again and I can't control myself either and I'd explode and be mad at him?"

"You don't have to think ahead of time. Focus on what's happening in the present."

"But it's not wrong to be prepared, isn't it?"

"You can't be certain that you'll be prepared when that moment comes. Not all the time everything will go as you planned. The world doesn't work that way." The world doesn't indeed work that way. It was complicated. Everything was complicated.

I looked at Tobias. He was talking to Alvin, and he still have that pretty damn smile on his face. Tobias. Was he complicated? "I just don't want us to be separated because of our issues."

"Maybe that's what will keep you two stronger." Manta's voice was so gentle. "The issues that you both have can be the reason to keep you together. 'Cause you'll face those issues together. Your differences could be the anchor of your relationship. And when you're in a relationship, remember that you're not alone."