Nine

It was surprising, at least, that all of the pairs did well on their own dishes. Nico and Benedict did their gougeres really good. It turns out that Benedict is an aspiring chef and Nico is just lucky to have him as his partner.

Tayla and Manta aced their croque monsieur, not just by the taste but also by its stunning looks. It was seriously expected to be honest as the both of them are a good pair of beauty and brains.

River and Briar made a good french crepe that everyone loved after tasted. Their dish was extraordinary and will surely pass a cooking competition if they ever attend one.

Our croissant was a basic pastry, but everyone seemed to love it too. Specially, when Tobias came up with the idea to add pumpkin pie to it. And as the selfish man I was, I stuffed two pieces of croissants in a plastic bag and put them inside my bag, planning to eat it back at home—Tobias snickering at me when he noticed.

We make different activities twice a week, every Tuesdays and Fridays.

One Tuesday we made a whole playlist of songs that are french. French music is really good. I liked it. A lot.

Then one Friday we watched a french movie. But I don't really think that it's a french movie since the language is English and it was set in France.

We also played a French game called Pétanque. It was easy to learn and fun to play. I had fun playing with it, though I lost most of the rounds.

Tobias and Manta aced the role of being a professor when they were teaching French. It was funny how I, Elliot-fucking-Hamilton, was actually listening and paying attention at the two human beings in front of me every time they teach.

My eyes darting from my paper, scribbling notes and keywords, to the board in front. Sometimes I'd find myself catching a glance at one of the fake professors ahead. It would take time to register that I was not paying attention to the lessons anymore when the fake professor looks at me and grins, then I'd start blinking rapidly and get myself together and focus on the work again.

At this point, I didn't know what was happening to me. Sometimes I question myself as I think about the words that I've said weeks ago. I'll never know what secrets this world hides and what treasures it contains or what undiscovered things are simply uncharted.

Am I one of those secrets that the world hides? Am I also a treasure that the world contains? Am I one of the undiscovered things that are simply—more rarely—uncharted?

I don't know what question suits what's happening to me, but I do know that something weird inside me is starting to grow or change or simply being let out.

I have more days to figure out what that thing could possibly be is. Right now, all I want to do is spend time freely and do everything I'm supposed to do.

***

The once duo contained table on the cafeteria became packed when the members of The French Society joined Alvin and I on eating.

"Nothing really beats the smell of grilled cheese sandwiches on a hungry noon," Benedict said.

"Ugh, disgusting." Briar said, settling down her own meal. The rest of the members joined in on seating at our table—Tobias taking a seat beside me.

He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"You're just jealous because you can't eat this masterpiece because you are lack of toes into learnt," Benedict said and I think that word he just let out at that last sentence made us all go dumb for a second.

"What?" I said.

"You know, the disorder where you can't eat dairy products?" he said. "Come on, guys, you're all too old not to know that kind of stuff."

"And you're too old not to know the proper word for calling it." Briar argued. "It's lactose intolerant, you hungry rat."

"How the hell are you going to become a chef if you don't even know that?" Nico joined.

Benedict was silent and kept on chewing his lunch and soon agreed to him. He was an easy person that you can easily educate and is willingly to learn.

Alvin across the table—across me—looked visibly confused on what's happening. He's been staring at me for a minute and his eyes pretty much says, 'What the hell is going on?'. I smiled at him and cleared my throat.

"Uh, guys," I said. "I don't think we're properly introduced." I looked at Alvin. "Alvin, this is Benedict, Nico, Briar, Tayla, River, Manta, and Tobias, from my club." I said, pointing at each of them every mention of their name. "Guys, this is Alvin. My best friend."

Tobias reached out his hands to Alvin and smiled. "So you're the best friend that Elliot mentions," he said. "Nice to finally meet you. I'm Tobias, head of our club." Alvin shook hands with him.

"You know Elliot?" Alvin asked.

"Yes, we've met before the club started."

"That's like an introduction to a young adult love story." Benedict said. I rolled my eyes and turned to Benedict who is beside Alvin.

"Benedict, shut up and eat your food." I said.

"What? I'm just saying that it's a pretty good prologue to a book or a starting sequence into a movie. I think I should write a book using that," he turned to Alvin who seemed to look at him the moment he spoke. "Benedict, Culinary arts. Sadly, my mother wants me to be a chef rather than a guy who develops video games."

Alvin's eyes widened. "You want to be a game developer too?" he asked.

"Are you serious? Of course, I do! There's nothing more interesting than creating new stuff and developing new dope technologies."

"Seems like your best friend found a new one," Manta said bluntly who is sitting beside Alvin. Alvin looked at her and turned to me.

"Elliot, buddy, it's not what you think it is." Alvin said.

"I think it's totally what I'm thinking it is," I said.

"No, Elliot, please."

"No, Alvin!" I shouted playfully fooling around. "How could you do this to me? You're my best friend!"

"Elliot, please, just listen to me." Alvin said, glad to join our little act.

"I think we should get a divorce."

Alvin couldn't take it anymore, and so did I, and then we laughed. The others shook their heads while also laughing.

The lunch was more fun than I expected. We laughed and talked and laughed and talked and that was far more fine to me.