Tobias

Seven years later.

I couldn't keep my hands stable. I kept fidgeting my knees and I couldn't even sit properly. The clock's ticking was certainly scratching my brain and it wasn't helping. I flopped my back onto the couch and sighed. The light was kinda irritating so I covered my eyes.

Our apartment was completely silent. At some moments, I could hear my heart beating. After Elliot graduated four years ago and we had enough money saved, we decided to buy our own apartment and we're now officially living together.

Elliot was now twenty-five years old; that made me twenty-eight.

Tomorrow, both of us will go back to New Jersey to visit his family for the holidays. We will spend the entire season there—all of us joined together. I look very much forward for that moment.

***

When we arrived at the airport, Connor, Clara, and Alvin were there to greet us. I could still remember the time when I first witnessed them standing and waiting for us; it was very similar to now, the only difference was that it's me and Elliot arriving.

Connor gave me a hug. "Welcome back home, son." He still had that same iconic smile.

"Thank you, Connor. How are you doing?"

"Meh, still the same. Gettin' old and rusty. Are you and Elliot doing great?"

I smiled. "We are. He's very much excited as I am to be spending the holidays with you."

Then he laughed—and I knew it was purely filled with joy.

Alvin was still the same bubbly guy that I've known. He was all smiles and positivity around him. Nothing has changed. Elliot's excitement really shown when he hugged his best friend.

"Alvin, you fucking menace!"

Well, damn, that was one hell of a greeting.

"Holy shit, you look so different! Has the French finally taken over you?" Alvin said.

"It has taken over me for a long time now." Elliot looked at me when he said that. He had this grin on his face.

Alvin also turned to look at me and gave me a very tight hug. Clara hugged the both of us too. I do not say this to them often but I've always loved reuniting with them. This family surely reminded me that home wasn't just a place. It never just was.

When we left the airport, we stopped by at the diner where the amazing burgers were made. It made me remember again when we went here seven years ago. That was the time when I arrived from France with my father. He also loved the burgers in here.

And then days came in motion. We decorated Elliot's house with ornaments and we went shopping for gifts. I still couldn't keep my mind away from nervousness.

Every time I look at him, I'm reminded of all the things we have done together. The things I've loved him for.

I'm reminded of the first time I saw him. In his mind, it was at the park, when I saw him talking to a kid—but that wasn't it for me. It was at the campus, the first day of college. I was sitting at a bench not far away from the campus entrance, and then I saw Elliot. His hair was still dyed white and he had his skateboard on his arms. He was talking to his best friend, Alvin, and he was smiling the whole time. It was the first time I've seen him, and his smile.

After that day, I sat at that bench at the same hour every day. Just so I could see him walk pass by while he was enjoying in his own world. I did not expect more from that until the day I caught him at the park.

That was the first time I've actually talked to him; the first time I got close to him physically; the first time I've looked directly at his gentle, light blue eyes. His voice was much clearer and smoother and I liked hearing it up close.