Two

"So that was the French guy?"

Alvin was throwing questions at me while we ride the bus to school. It has been days since he first met the members of my club and I'm glad he was cool with them, same as them to him.

"Tobias?" I asked. He nodded. "Yeah, he is."

"Damn. He's so tall, dude."

I made a face. "Not really."

"Easy for you to say. You're tall enough."

"I'm not tall."

Alvin widened his eyes at me. "Elliot, you are seriously six-foot flat. How is that not tall?"

"And Tobias is only an inch or two taller than me."

"You're still tall!" He crossed his arms in front of his chest and sighed dramatically.

"Oh, please don't be fucking ridiculous, Alvin. You're just five inches shorter than me." I said and he rolled his eyes.

I stared at the speeding up scenery outside, my head against the window. The sky was in haze and it gotten much colder than before. The sweatshirt that I'm wearing was not helping by the coldness I'm getting.

The image of Tobias punching the wall blurs up my mind again. I blinked twice to make it go away. It sucks when my mind does that. I didn't even know why it keeps playing inside my head. But that image scares me for some reasons.

I turned to Alvin who is taking a nap now. He must've been playing games all night again. I let out a chuckle and turn to the window again.

The sky was gray but not as gray as the clouds in my mind. Head in the clouds. My head was in the clouds. Again.

***

The professor just reminded us for exams before we head out and all of the students murmured their own frustrations. Exams are coming again and I just hate that I have to study for a long time again.

I really hate studying.

Manta looked at me with a smile on her face and I knew that it was the smile of teasing. She knows that I will be suffering to study again.

She once offered help but I kindly refused to it. She's done enough with me on extra french lessons and I feel embarrassed to ask her for more.

We head out of class and grabbed lunch. The French Society and Alvin, were there already. They all looked busy in their own different worlds. River's with his notes and was probably studying more chemistry than usual. Tayla was focused on her book. Briar and Nicolas are chomping down on their own foods. Then there's Benedict and Alvin whose voices are loud enough to be heard among the sea of chattering around the cafeteria.

Tobias.

He wasn't at the table. I wonder where he's at.

"Elliot! Elliot! Benedict says he's gonna join our fire squad for the mean time since dragonalex_9822 won't be online for a few weeks. He'll take the role of the sniper." Alvin said as soon Manta and I settled down on the table.

"What? Why won't he be online?" I asked.

"Dunno. He texted it on the group chat this morning."

"Well, okay. I guess he can join," I pointed to Benedict. "But why are you asking me? I'm not the leader of the squad."

"I might as well just want to inform you."

Manta leaned close. "Yeah, you're probably not the best friend now," she whispered. I nodded exaggeratedly. Manta pats my back. "I'm really sorry, Elliot."

I sobbed but no tears were in my eyes. "It's okay. I'll be okay."

"Oh, come on." Alvin groaned. "It was Elliot who had a new best friend! It's not fair. He was always spending time with Tobias."

"Tobias isn't my new best friend, Alvin."

"And Benedict isn't either."

"How did you even know I was hanging out with him?"

"Tobias said you met before your club right? So I assumed you were hanging out with him whenever you're not in your house."

"Oh." I said. "Well, yeah we hung out a few times."

The table was filled with busy noises again. I was staring down at my food. I didn't feel like eating. And speaking of Tobias, I haven't seen him around since morning. Where the hell is that guy?

I turned to Manta. "Do you know where Tobias is?"

"No, I haven't seen him today."

The gut of worrying came to my mind again. Where the hell is this guy? I reached for my phone in my pocket and texted Tobias.

'hey, havent seen u in school today. r u home? u ok? call me if u need anythin'

I hit send and put my phone back in my pocket. My food looked deadass edible. I hate campus meals sometimes. I didn't feel like eating, so I didn't.