Five

One late-afternoon drive, Tobias was quiet. Too quiet. There were no music playing on his radio. I hated the silence. And he knows that. But the silence that we're having was different. "Are you mad at me?" I said.

"No." His eyes were focused on the road.

"Okay."

We were quiet.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," he said. He sounded mad.

"You sound mad."

"I'm not mad at you, Elliot. I'm just tired."

"Of what?" I think I'm getting him mad.

He looked at me. "Of work, obviously." He turned back to the road.

"Okay. Just making sure."

And silence again. I saw the golden light hitting every part of Tobias. He still looked like a golden boy, now being bathed in warm sunlight. I love talking like that about him.

"But, seriously, I didn't do anything to piss you off..."

Tobias let out a sigh. "No, Elliot. You didn't do anything. I'm just drained at work, okay? You don't need to think too much. I just want to rest right now."

"We can stop by at my house since we're already near there."

"Okay, I'd like that." He smiled. And I did too. We fell into silence again. I felt like sticking my hand in the window and touching the air. But I didn't. I watched as the world go fast instead.

I turned to Tobias. "Are you mad that I asked if you're mad?"

"Oh my god." And that was the last thing I heard from him that afternoon.