Seven

There's nothing worse than having a class in the middle of a storm. Sure the lecture halls are big and it has no windows so the loud rain wouldn't bother you, but the travel to and from the campus would be a pain in the ass.

My friends and I decided to stay in the campus for a bit, hoping for the rain to become mild so we could travel with less hassle.

We waited for an hour. The rain was still pounding hard. Weather must be really pissed.

"We're sitting ducks here, mate," River said.

"Yeah," I said. "This rain's obviously not going to calm down any minute."

"We should probably get going." Manta said. She was rubbing her arms, her sweater wasn't really a help at this cold atmosphere.

But it's still raining hard. There's no way we could survive this weather without getting wet.

"Bonjour."

We all turned and saw Tobias. His hands stuffed in the pocket of his jacket. I swear, this guy really just pops out of nowhere. But I'm kinda used to that.

"You're still here?" I said. Yeah, no shit, Elliot.

He nodded. "Got stuck with my block mates," he said. He glanced at the doomed rain shower happening outside. "Damn, heavy rain."

"I should've stayed at home. Why the hell do we still have class anyway?" Alvin said.

"Maybe, they'll suspend classes tomorrow." Manta said.

"How I wish." I said.

The rain poured even more—if that's even possible. A light flashed at the dark sky and made a booming sound. Manta let out a squeal. Alvin cursed. I winced. Tobias just laughed.

Okay, I take back what I said. I fucking hate rains now.

"I'll give you guys a ride home." Tobias said. I looked at him.

"Really?"

"Sure. Don't want you all to be stuck in here forever."

River stepped forward. "My house is out of town, Tobias."

Tobias shrugged. "I don't mind." Then he started walking away. "Come on."

In no time, we all followed Tobias. We made a run from the school exit to the parking lot. Our clothes got wet easily. I didn't know why we decided to run under the shower-like rain but that was the stupidest idea ever.

Yet we still ended up all squeezed in inside the vehicle. River, Alvin, and Manta at the back, while I got shotgun. Probably one of the perks of dating a guy with dope ass car.

"You guys alright there?" Tobias said, looking at his windshield.

"Surprisingly, yes," Manta said. "Alvin's not that big so we're fairly alright."

"Hey! I'm not short." Alvin said.

"I didn't say you were."

"But that's what you mean!"

"I said you're not that big, not that you're small. There's a difference."

I laughed at their bickering. "Honestly, Alvin is short. No need to lie about that, man," I said. Alvin glared at me on the windshield and reached out to punch me in the shoulder. But he failed. "See! You can't even reach me."

Alvin flipped me off and I laughed.

The whole ride was silent. There's a calming music playing on the car's radio while the rain battles it with its own loud drops. I looked outside.

I couldn't see anything aside from more rain droplets dripping on the window. Minutes after, we reached River's house. He muttered a thank you before running for the sake of his dryness. Manta was the second one to be dropped off. Her house was only ten minutes away from River's. Alvin stretched his legs and groaned.

"Finally," he said. "I felt like a patty earlier."

"Well, it suits you."

"Fuck you."

I grinned. "Love you too, man."

Tobias laughed and I did too. The radio music sang again, filling up the whole silence in the car. I liked how we were all just comfortable and cozy. Then I suddenly remembered something.

"Hey, Alvin," I said. "How is it going with you and Klein?"

"Klein?"

"Klein. Klein Becker."

He crossed his arms. He let out a breath. Something must be up.

"Well, I asked her on a date once."

I whipped my head around. "You did?"

"Yeah, while the club thingy were still going on."

"How come you never told me?"

He shrugged. "You were always busy."

I felt bad immediately. Yes, I was indeed busy that time. Doing my own little things and so does Alvin. But that isn't an excuse for not having much time around my best friend. I could've asked him how he's been. But I didn't. Not even once.

"I'll make it up to you," I said. He smiled and rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, you will," he said.

"I will, Alvin. I promise."

"Okay." There was a sudden silence. I turned back to the road. "But, yeah, on the Klein thing, it didn't work out. Turns out she's not into guys who's ginger and likes robots for entertainment."

"Robots are cool." Tobias said, smiling, glancing on the windshield then to the road.

Alvin's face lit up. "Thank you! That's what I've been saying a lot to Elliot."

"I mean, they are, yes. But I don't like it that much."

"You're telling me you didn't love Transformers when you were a kid?"

"I did, Alvin. I just don't like spending my time around figuring out how to do robot shits and how they work or whatever."

Alvin scoffed. "Boring."

"You're boring." I said.

"Okay."

"Okay."

Tobias laughed once again. The air was chilly and the rain won't stop pouring. It was dark at the sky. I couldn't see anything but hazy gray clouds. I missed seeing the sun and the orange hue of it at afternoons.

I looked at Tobias. I feel like something was off from him. He was smiling earlier, but I think it was one of his fake ones. I wonder what's bothering him.

That was all I could ever remember before everything blurred around. All I could see was fast motions, spinning lights, my head in the clouds, and screaming the word, "No!"