Help her

Throughout the night Gio sat patiently by Bella's bed, allowing Matteo to get some sleep before the morning arrived. It was about 4 am, and the only source of light was the tiny light illuminating underneath the hospital door from the hallway.

The sound of the heart monitor beeping softly is all he could hear while he rested his head on Bella's bed. It broke his heart to see his baby sister on the brink of death, hooked up to so many machines.

He had to stay strong for her, to see her recover and help her get better. But he wanted to cry, cry for a long time In the dark abyss to let out his emotions that were bundled up and tied with twine.

Gio wished it wasn't like this, he always wondered how their life would be if Bella was never taken away from them. They could have protected her from all the harm that was brought to her, but they couldn't.

He sighed and brushed the tip of his fingers against her soft cheek. "Wake up soon Princess. We need you." Gio mumbled and stood up from his seat tiredly. His eyes were droopy with weariness, but he could not sleep right now, Matteo needed to sleep for a bit more.

All of a sudden, the monitors started to beep loudly causing everyone to wake up from sleep. Gio looked up at the screen, panic displayed on his face as his older brothers came to their senses.

A nurse and doctor bursted through the door and quickly got to work trying to figure out what was wrong.

Matteo was breathing heavily watching the scene unfold before his eyes. "Help her!" He shouted out and doctor grabbed a scalpel from their cart.

The doctor sliced a tiny hole into Bella's side and grabbed a tube, sliding it slowly into the incision to drain out the fluid that filled her lungs slowly.

Once the fluid was drained, the pressure was down and her oxygen levels gradually increased with her oxygen mask on.

The doctor let out a heavy sigh of relief, if the drainage did not work, Matteo would have sure had his job and head.

"She's okay..I'll keep the tube in to continue draining. We will monitor her." The doctor said and bowed his head before exiting the room.

Lorenzo looked at Matteo instantly with soft eyes. "I thought we were going to lose her.." he choked out and went over to Bella's bed to sit next to her.

Matteo sat down in his chair and furrowed his eyebrows in frustration. He was so stressed lately that pounding headaches kept coming and going increasing everyday.

Since Bella had contracted Pneumonia, Matteo knew that her recovery time would be extended. Bella had been yearning to go back to school and play on the volleyball team, but by the time she would get better the volleyball season would be over.

-------------
In the silence, a small cough could be heard, that bounced off the walls. Everyone's eyes immediately opened and looked towards Bella on the bed who had a confused look plastered on her face.

"Bella! You're awake!?" They gasped and rushed over to her worriedly.

----------------
Bella's Pov

My eyes flickered opened and I winced as pain washed over my body. It was like getting hit by a truck then an elephant sitting on top of me. My chest felt tightened and I felt a tickle in the back of my throat. Coughs erupted and I grimaced from aftermath of sharp pains that shot through my body.

From my cough I noticed that my brothers have awoken and already came running over to help.

My body was stiff and I tried to speak but they were muffled from the clear plastic oxygen mask that covered my mouth and nose.

"Bella! You're awake!" I heard them ask me and I gulped trying to slip the mask off my face to speak.

"I..It hurts.." I groaned out, squinting my eyes in discomfort.

Matteo sat down and grasped my hand gently. "I'll call the doctor for some pain killers okay?" He said to me and I nodded.

My eyes fluttered closed again and I exhaled heavily. "I'm sorry." I whispered and gripped onto the thin knitted blanket that was provided on the bed.

Lorenzo shook his head and looked down at me. "Dont apologize princess nothing is your fault." He said softly to me and kissed my forehead.

"We just want you to get better." Antonio said and gave me a gently smile.

Soon the nurse entered the room with some medications for my pneumonia and to ease the pain. I gave a small smile and then looked at Matteo.

"Matteo..can you hand me that water cup by you?.." I asked with a hoarse voice.

Matteo quickly picked up the styrofoam cup and handed it to me. I thanked him and sat up slowly to drink the water while the nurse administered the mediation into my body.

I quaffed down the lukewarm water, my hand shaking slightly as I gripped the cup. The water quenched my thirst and allowed my throat to moisten up.

I placed the cup down and looked around the room. The light was dim but bright enough to see everything.

Soon the pain meds started to kick in and I finally felt more relaxed and at ease.

"Matteo..how long do I have to stay here for?" I asked him curiously, yearning to already leave this dreadful room.

Matteo looked at me and sighed sitting down. "Until the pneumonia goes away. Then you can get discharge.." he said and patted my head.

I frowned and my lower lip quivered in disappointment. "Alright.." I muttered and I stared at the wall with dull eyes. Always bring in the hospital ruined my mood. I want to travel, have fun and so much more, but that was not possible when I'm always here.

Lorenzo noticed the pout on my face and he poked my puffed out cheek. "What's wrong?" He asked me and I giggled slightly at his actions.

"Nothing nothing, I'm just sad that I never get to travel or anything, I hate being here.." I huffed out and laid back in the bed, coughing a bit.

The antibiotics given to me were already helping me significantly and I was glad about that. Maybe I'll get over this sickness faster.

Lorenzo grinned hearing what I had said and Isolde at him confused. "Why are you grinning?" I asked him and he quickly stopped grinning.

"Oh nothing, I was just thinking of something." He hummed and pulled Matteo out of the room.

I wonder what he's thinking.

1120 words

(I hope you guys like this small chapter. I've been babysitting all day today and I still am right now so my chapter kinda sucks but please stay tuned. Love, your author xoxo)