Rightful place

It was the time of pre-independence of India. Richard Beckham was an official working in the East India company who was ruling over India at that time. he had a daughter named Suzan. she was coming to India after completing her studies in England. there was also a young man named Govind working under Richard as a manager of his property. Despite his brown skin tone, he was so handsome that Susan falls head over heels for him meeting only once. she talks to her father about it and her father too does not have any objection as he was already impressed with his honesty and sincerity. In this way, Suzan and Govind were soon tied into a knot. After getting married, both of them starts to live in one of the finest property that Richard had gifted them. and here Richard takes retirement from his work to spend with his family but before he could shift with them, he dies in a paralytic state. Because of his sudden death, all the responsibilities fall on Govind's shoulder. Six months had passed and in autumn, Suzan was expecting the birth of his first child. But she starts feeling lonely because Govind used to spend most of his time outside the house due to work. She would spend all his time sitting near an old damp-looking well that was present in their huge backyard surrounded by various trees. and here she would listen to different-different stories from her lady care-taker whom she would call "Amma". Suddenly, One-day amma has to go down to visit her relatives. In her place, she sends her 14-year-old granddaughter- Panna. Again today, Suzan was reading a book in her backyard and Panna was sitting near her. Her focus shifted to Panna when she says that she should not go near any old abandoned old water sources. For which Suzan asks her the reason. Panna with a serious look whispers that old water sources where water does not flow could become a home for wandering negative energies. Later when Govind comes home, Suzan shares this story with him at bedtime. But tired Govind doesn't pay much attention to her.

The next morning, Govind was again going on a trip to Bombay for 2 whole months. Before going, he promises her about coming back as soon as possible. Suzan was taking her routine stroll with Panna in the garden and suddenly Suzan notice someone was peeking through the gate. After coming near, they met with a little child. By asking him some questions...she comes to know that he is an orphan and due to which he wanders from house to house for a roof. She feels pity for the innocent boy and lets him stay at their house. Days keep on passing and now Suzan does not feel much lonely as she used to feel before. Unconsciously, she was using the child to fill her emotional void. Amma had not returned yet. Panna didn't like that boy's vibe. One day, Suzan was reading a story to him. and in the middle of the story, he asks her, "why is your stomach so huge whereas my stomach is flat ?? hearing this, she laughs so hard. While patting on her stomach she says, "there is......my child." The boy questions that if she had him, then why does she need another child ?? Suzan, "because this is not your 'rightful place' But after that what that boy speaks, both of them get shocked. He says that, " what if this child dies, then can I take his place ?? Instantly Suzan orders Panna to take that child away from her.

Later when Panna was preparing to go home, she tells Suzan to be wary of that boy and not to attach herself to him as she soon was going to become a mother of her own child. She assures her by saying that she is just letting him experience a mother's love before sending him somewhere else" But that child had heard their chat and was weirdly looking at her. In the middle of the night...when she opens her eyes, she founds herself standing near that old well with a lantern in her hand. she notices that the boy was there too but he was looking into the well. When she inquires him about what is doing there. He points to the well with a creepy smile, " look !! your child is drowning and now I can take his rightful place." and she sees her nightgown from the stomach to down covered in blood which makes her scream very hard and she wakes up on her bed. Reality was opposite to her dream. But after that, she couldn't sleep even a wink. Now Suzan doesn't want to stay near that child even for a second because she could feel that he may be staring at her from somewhere. Another incident happens when that boy tries to put his hand on her belly meanwhile she was sleeping but before he could touch suzan grabs his hand and jerked it. Suzan could see something negative in the boy's behavior. Another day comes....He was playing alone with some stones in the corridor. But when he saw Suzan coming from the front, he goes to hide behind the curtain. As she reaches near him, he scares her from behind which results in losing her balance and she was going to fall over the stones but at the same time, Panna stops her from falling by catching her at right time. This incident breaks her mentally and she could not trust that boy anymore. She was convinced on the fact that the boy wants to take his child's place by harming her in any way possible. Suzan was scared that if she doesn't do anything soon, she will have to face huge consequences.. And avoiding him cannot be a solution. She was having paranoid attacks making her mental condition vulnerable. Her eyes were flickering, lips were repeating the same line and fear had almost consumed her to the core. Her legs led her to the kitchen where she picks up the shiniest knife and held it like a weapon ...she was calling the boy in a sweet voice in every room and corner. But she found him the unexpected place. Upon seeing him playing near the well, a scary smile spreads on her face. She strikes on his back and he falls down on the ground in pain. He tries to escape from her but she had held the boy firmly. She was continuously stabbing him until his body does not stop moving and was repeating, "you can't take my child's rightful place"

End.........