Chapter 6.3

Julie's POV
1977

I can't believe I was this stupid.

My friends tried to warn me not to hang out with Matthew Rivers, a collage student. But I'm stubborn, so of course I didn't listen.

Now I'm living with the man who f*cked me, eight months pregnant with a baby boy.

My parents kicked me out, my friends left me. I had nowhere else to go, so I went to Mathew's house. I know it's probably not smart, but what else am I supposed to do?

I'm gonna have this baby and he's gonna need a home. I can't get a job because who's gonna hire a teenage girl like me, epically while I'm pregnant.

I'm also not the only girl he impregnated. A fourteen year old girl is seventh months pregnant with a girl. Her name is Rose and we're getting through this together. Her parents kicked her out too. If I leave, I'll be leaving her with Matthew with no escape.

I am going to do all that I can to raise my child. I'm going to do everything in my power to protect him, and I will never abandon him.

"Hey, Julie can we talk?" Rose comes up to me.

"Yeah sure, anything Rose, you know that." I say.

"I- I want to keep my baby, but my parents won't take me back in if I don't give her up for adoption." Rose says. "But if I give her up for adoption I may never see her again." She continues. "Julie I want you to raise my baby."

"What, no.... I can't-"

"Please Julie. If you raise her, I might see her again." Rose says. "I trust you more than I trust anyone."

"Are you sure you want to leave her her with me and Matthew?" I ask, keeping my voice low.

"I know you'll take care of her." Rose says. "You'll be the best mother she could ever have."

Tears swell in my eyes, and tears swell on hers.

"I'll take care of her." I say. "I promise."

"Thank you so much." She says. If it weren't for our bellies we'd be hugging right now.

I smile and whip a tear that trickled down my face. In a couple months, I was going to be a mother of two kids.  I was terrified, what if I'm not enough for them? But I was also excited to finally meet my sweet boy who I've spent the last eight months with.

"You're welcome." I say.