Chapter 2: The First Mission

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 2: The First Mission⍟ ⎊ ⧗

A month after I was moved to the base, Andrew Garner, who I now just called Andrew instead of Dr. Garner, continued to come to ask how I was doing. Daisy would come often, helping me with my powers. Through Lincoln and one of the scientists and doctors, Jemma Simmons I discovered how my abilities worked. I was able to control and manipulate the brainwaves and electricity of someone's mind, which earned me the name, Synapse.

As for the energy blasts, Jemma and Lincoln weren't sure, but we knew my entire body was altered to accommodate the energy blasts that surged through my veins and body, which was baffling yet fascinating. Now I was back at the main base, which I learned they named the Playground. Two agents escorted me on board of a ship, which was called Zephyr One. There I saw Lincoln and a man, Joey, who was an Inhuman just like us. All that the agents told me was that I was cleared for field duty and nothing else of the matter. I was excited to be back in field duty. This would be my first mission with S.H.I.E.L.D. Despite having previous experience in the field, I was still nervous. This was different than the FBI, way different. Lincoln wore a smile when he saw me.

"Hey Alexis." He greeted me.

"Hey Lincoln. Never thought I'd see you here." I mentioned.

"Well, I had someone convince me otherwise." Lincoln commented, looking behind me.

I followed his gaze to see him looking at Daisy, who stood alongside Mack. I could tell from the look in his eyes that he was in love with Daisy and I could tell she felt the same for him. I wore a smirk. "Love does wonders."

Lincoln wore a sheepish smile, rubbing the back of his head. "You know it's not nice to read someone's mind."

"I don't have to read minds to know that you two are utterly in love with each other." I quipped, wearing a teasing smile. "I'll have you know I wouldn't invade someone's mind, not on purpose."

I noticed Lincoln went from embarrased to guilty as he quickly replied. "Oh no, Alexis, I didn't mean to accuse you--"

Immediately, I cut him off, seeing how he was struggling, feeling terrible. "Lincoln, don't worry about it. I know you didn't mean it. We're just joking around."

Lincoln's shoulders slumped as he let out a sigh of relief, nodding. At that moment, all the agents in the base surrounded as Mack spoke up, gaining everyone's attention. "Listen up! Hydra has Fitz and Simmons, and they're planning on opening another portal. Which is why we're going to stop them."

My entire body tensed up upon hearing that word: Hydra. Hydra's the last thing I wanted was to deal with. I could feel my hands trembling again. Uh-oh. I closed my eyes, remembering Andrew's advice to me. Take a deep breath. Empty your thoughts and go to your happy place. In a matter of seconds, I found myself with my family, laughing and smiling with them. After a few minutes, my hands stopped shaking.

"Yeah, but why us?" Joey questioned.

"I'm guessing we're all they got." Lincoln answered.

"You three have powers. My other agents don't. But I'm not gonna lie to you, this is a dangerous mission, and the odds are not in our favor." Mack warned.

"Not really a selling point." Joey commented.

"Here's the deal. What Hydra's planning is gonna hurt a lot of innocent people, maybe people you care about." Mack mentioned. "I wouldn't be asking for your help if I didn't we had a chance. So either you step up and do the damn job or you let the bad guys win. The choice is yours."

He had a point, Hydra had hurt so many people, and they still are. That organization took much from me, nearly cost my life in the process. If there was any way I could help to deliver a blow to Hydra, I'll happily take it. So Lincoln, Joey, and I exchanged looks before turning back to face Mack, giving him a nod. On the way, I was introduced to many of the agents and I met up with agents that I had met before, who helped train me like Melinda May and so forth. Once the Zephyr was close to the Hydra castle, two agents approached us in a Quinjet. I was introduced to them, discovering their names: Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter. They were the ones who told us about Coulson, the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and how he jumped through the portal to get to either Fitz or Simmons as Hydra took one of them through the portal. Bobbi, Daisy, Hunter, Joey, Lincoln, Mack, May, and I gathered in the control room of the Zephyr next to the cockpit. We all looked at the computer screens, seeing heat signatures.