Chapter 96: Told You

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 96: Told You⍟ ⎊ ⧗

All of the sudden, the door knocked before it opened, revealing Deke. He wore a smile as he greeted me. "Hey." 

"Hey." I said, cracking a smile.

Deke was wearing a black coat, a salmon colored buttoned up shirt, a pair of black pants, and a pair of Jordans. Well, he's certainly been busy as those shoes are not cheap. He seemed to adjust well here in our time. I wonder what he was up to.

"I just wanted to check in, you know. The weirdness with the Coulson...whatever. You know what I mean. So, uh, you good?" Deke asked.

"Yeah, I'm good. How are you? You look like you've picked up some style in the past year. You look good." I commented.

Deke wore a grin. "Thanks."

He then cleared his throat. "I mean, they're vintage '88 Jordans. Never worn, super rare, so, you know, I guess they're cool, but...And Jordan...I mean...are you kidding me? Like, what a guy."

I raised an eyebrow. "You do know who Jordan is, right?"

Deke let out a nervous chuckle. "Do I know... He changed everything. He's a revolutionary. 'Cause he...invented shoes."

Oh dear. I narrowed my eyes as I weakly nodded. "Okay..."

"Well, uh, my point is that, uh, the thing about innovators, you know...I don't know if we're born or we become, but it's...It's usually stuff that the herd just isn't really ready for. It's like I tell VCs, you know, sometimes you just got to surf that Paradigm Shift." Deke rambled on.

"Say what?" I questioned, doing a double take at his words.

"Oh, no, you...You probably don't know. Uh, I'm...I'm super rich now." Deke informed me.

Deke? This guy? What did do? I blurted out, baffled. "Like, real money? Dollars?"

Deke let out a chuckle. "Yeah, I started a company."

"What did you do? Did you start your own line of cologne?" I teased.

"Ooh, that's not a bad idea." Deke mentioned.

I rolled my eyes. Great, why did I open my mouth? The last thing I need is to give him ideas.
Lucky gave me a whine as he grew annoyed upon hearing Deke rant on. Stephen then appeared, standing beside Deke, rolling his eyes. He looked just as annoyed.

"Does he have an off button?" Stephen asked.

I gave Stephen a warning look. Stephen raised his hands. "Hey, I'm just saying what you're thinking."

"But no I started a tech company, silly. That's...You know, you were actually...a really big inspiration. You encouraged me to go out there and figure out what the world was all about. Well, it turns out that the world is all about making money. And old Deke is very good at it." Deke continued on.

He started out real sweet and then he had to ruin it with the ending, talking about money. I rolled my eyes. Deke hasn't changed at all. He's still the same.

"You know you started off sweet, but then you ruined it with making it about money." I informed him.

Deke's face fell, but he quickly recovered, giving me a smile as he replied. "Oh but you know, my actual mission lies in the Corporate Social Responsibility movement. Did you know that one half of one percent of all of our profit goes straight to the DSFBFF...the Deke Shaw For a Better Future Foundation?"

I crossed my arms. "Really? One half of one percent? Not even one percent?"

Deke hesitated before changing the subject. "Hey, well, listen, forget about me. I-I want to hear more about your space adventure. You, Daisy, and Fitz-Simmons were poking around the galaxy for the last year, and grandma and grandpa are still in space, so that's cool."