Chapter 9: The Blackouts

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 9: The Blackouts ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Now that Jeffrey had opened up, revealing me something that I could guarantee that not many people knew here, I looked at him differently...I wanted to be furious with him for not telling me this before, but I couldn't, I knew what it was felt to hide a secret. I guess it was time to hold my end of the bargain. Jeffrey moved his gaze towards the ground, no doubt he was feeling terrible, guilty even. I didn't need to use my powers to know how he felt.

"Like I told you, my actual name is Mariana Juliana Reyes. I used to work with Cybertek. It was no Stark Industries, but nevertheless, I was excited, to be working at a job that I loved. I wanted to help people...but I discovered that Hydra was secretly working alongside them, taking Cybertek's technology and doing terrible things with technology that was meant to help people, improve lives." I began.

"I tried to be a hero, taking some of the equipment and experiments into my car, hoping to get it into the right hands to stop them, but I was approached by a Hydra agent, he threatened me, warning me that if I tried to cross them again, they'll kill every last person I love and make me watch...Then his men beat me until I was unconscious. I couldn't walk for days..." I continued. "Hydra, more specifically a man by the name of John Garrett threatened to kill my family if I didn't comply with their commands, so I did what I had to for my family."

Once I finished, Jeffrey gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry for everything you've been through."

I returned his smile. "Thanks...I feel like I keep messing up, like I can't do anything right."

Jeffrey placed a hand on my shoulder as he gave me a small smile. He then responded. "We've all been there, Mariana. There are times where we feel like we hit rock bottom, unable to fix what we've done, but the good thing about rock bottom is there's only one way out. Up. And you shouldn't beat yourself up for what you did. The past is something you can't fix, but you can change the future. You aren't the only one who feels this way. You are more than your past mistakes. What you did does not define who you are."

I stared at Jeffrey, baffled. I didn't expect him to go out of his way to cheer me up. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel somewhat better. He was right, about all of it. I cracked a smile. "Thanks, Jeffrey. So, why didn't you tell us the truth instead of feeding us this Inhuman lie?"

"I couldn't. The U.S. government wanted me to keep this all a secret...And I also wanted to impress you, uh, I mean the team." Jeffrey admitted.

I was both baffled and shocked. He wanted to impress me? I couldn't help but smile, feeling flattered. No one has ever wanted to impress me before...But I still didn't understand, he could've told me anything about himself. Why chose this?

"Why tell me this? You could've told me literally anything else." I pointed out.

Jeffrey wore a sheepish smile as he rubbed the back of his head. "Well, you said I had to earn your trust and I want you to not just trust me, but like me, the real me, not the version that the government has made up for S.H.I.E.L.D. and the  public."

Immediately, his words pulled on my heartstrings. It looks like I definitely got Jeffrey wrong. He wasn't a player, who could care less about those around him. Yet, here he was, desperately wanting me to like him. I wasn't sure what came over me, but I extended a hand out, grabbing one of his.

"I don't know this real Jeffrey Mace yet, but I like him more than the one I met on day one." I informed him.

A genuine smile grew on Jeffrey's face. "Thank you. And could we, uh, keep them to ourselves, a secret between the two of us."

I knew it was only a matter of time until Coulson and the others discovered, especially since Mack and Fitz already knew a bit of the truth. But that didn't mean that Jeffrey's secret had to be exposed. I cracked a smile, extending a hand out towards him.