Chapter 12: Family Reunion

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 12: Family Reunion⍟ ⎊ ⧗

My eyes widened as I blurted out in horror. "They found us?"

Wong wore a grim look as he nodded. "I'm afraid so."

But how? How did they know where we were? This didn't make any sense, unless they had information about us. If they did, we'd all be in serious trouble. I pushed that thought aside, not wanting to believe that was the case.

"I'll fix this." I suggested.

Immediately, Stephen intervened. "No, if they see either you or your cousin then they will do everything to come into this Sanctum."

"He's right. They won't stop until they've reached the both of you." Wong warned.

My shoulders slumped in defeat, knowing they were right. I sighed. "Fine...I won't go."

"Good. Stay here." Stephen commanded.

With that, both of them took off, leaving me alone in Stephen's office. As Wong and Stephen dealt with the Watchdogs, I walked over towards the window to see Stephen and Wong talking to the Watchdogs, prepared to attack if necessary. I then felt a tap on my shoulder, frightening me. I quickly spun around, startled with my hands engulfed in blue energy beams. However, I immediately stopped when I realized it was Stephen's red cloak with golden clasps standing before me, flying in the air. The cloak lifted its edges as though it was raising its hands. I let out a chuckle as the blue beams from my hands diminished.

"Oh it's you. Hello there, cloak." I greeted.

The cloak bowed as it extended out one of its edges, looking like it wanted to shake my hand. I slowly raised my hand towards the cloak, who shook my hand. My smile widened.

"You're way too kind and more polite than Stephen." I mentioned.

I then leaned in to inspect the detail on the cloak, which was amazing, filled with golden stitching that blended into the fabric. My grandmas on both sides of the family had taught me a bit of needlework and embroidery, but that was never my speciality.

"The needlework and detail on you is beautiful." I complimented.

The cloak then fluttered around me before waving one of its edges as if to dismiss my compliment. I let out a chuckle, rather amused. All of the sudden, my phone went off. I took it out to see it was Jeffrey. Immediately, I answered the phone.

"Jeffy, hey." I greeted.

"It's getting messy, Mariana." Jeffrey informed me in a serious tone. "They've hit Moscow, Mexico City, and parts of New York are also affected, it's only a matter of time until the entire city's down. There's rioting, looting. People are demanding action."

I grimaced. This wasn't a good thing at all, the situation was getting worse. Determined to fix this problem, I replied. "I'm going to Los Angeles now. I'll help handle the situation."

"Please do. I need a win, Mariana." He urged. "I can't afford a lose, not know. I was on the phone with the President. He says if we don't have answers soon, he's gonna do some—"

At that moment, the line was dead, cutting off our conversation. I grimaced. We must've been hit by another EMP pulse. I can't imagine what the President was willing to do if we didn't stop this soon. I tried to contact Coulson or anyone else from S.H.I.E.L.D. with the watch I was given from the agency. However it was completely dead.

None of the S.H.I.E.L.D. tech works, which means this must be a continuous-pulse EMP, which was rather advanced. The Watchdogs must've done this to rile people up and take advantage of the blackouts. If the Watchdogs were behind this, then there were members of the Watchdogs all across the globe, going after us. All of the sudden, Marisol approached me followed by Wong.