Chapter 69: The Fear Dimension

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 69:  The Fear Dimension⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Deke managed to get out of the way in time, missing the axe by just inches. Daisy and I lunged towards the Kree. I managed to knock the axe out of his hand, but he tackled the both of us to the floor. Scooping up his axe, the Kree went after Deke, knocking racks and shelves over to find him. Just before the Kree could reach Deke, Daisy grabbed her gun, firing at him. He lowered his arms as he stumbled back, slowly falling to the ground. As soon as he collapsed to the ground, he turned into dust. While I was studying this new dilemma with Fitz, we had a theory, one I wanted to rule out immediately, but now I can't. Daisy and Deke exchanged a baffled look before turning to face me.

"I'll explain everything, but with the others." I informed them.

Once we were in the monitor room with Coulson, May, and Fitz, Fitz and I explained everything we knew.

"It's our fears come to life." Fitz announced.

"What the hell are you talking about? What fear?" May asked, looking more confused than ever.

"We're still trying to piece it all together. But there's something that might help explain it." I chimed in.

"Watch this. It's low-res, but it's all I could salvage from one of the dwarfs." Fitz mentioned as he put up the footage of Lash attacking none of our drones.

May's eyes widened in shock, walking towards the screen. "This can't be."

Coulson immediately spun around to face us, equally stupefied. "Mariana? Fitz?"

Fitz and I exchanged a look before nodding, letting out a sigh. I then proceeded to explain what Fitz and I knew. "We think that ‭when the monoliths exploded, they tore open something that we can only describe as a fear dimension."

"And it's leaking out. See these emissions here?" Fitz added, pointing to the energy beam we saw footage of earlier.

"What do you think that is?" Coulson asked.

"I don't know, uh, alien energy." I suggested.

"The Dwarf went offline before either Mariana or I could analyze it. But whatever it is, it seems that it can reach inside our minds." Fitz warned.

"Yeah, well, it can do more than that. That Kree almost killed Deke." Daisy mentioned.

"Yeah, ‭and I don't understand how, but it seems that this dimension can take our deepest fears and it can manifest them physically." Fitz clarified.

Great, I got to deal with this whole fear situation again. I thought I had seen the last of that in the Dream Dimension, but I guess I was wrong.

"So, Kree warrior. Check." Daisy confirmed.

"And if that is Lash, double check." May agreed.

"What about that forest on Level 27?" Coulson inquired.

"You mean an overwhelming collection of branchy things with birds and bugs and the floor all covered in worms? Are you kidding? That's...That's a horror show." Deke mentioned in horror.

We all looked at Deke, speechless. That's what he fears the most? He lived in a deadly apocalyptic future. Daisy let out a sigh. "Okay, triple check."

"I'm sealing off the lower two thirds of the Lighthouse. That's where the bulk of the phenomena is occurring, but it's flaring out." I informed the others.

I quickly used the tablet to close the doors, sealing off the levels. This was only a temporary fix until we could find a real solution. Fitz and I had come up with something, but I was hesitant as if involved one of us to head down to the heart of the problem, and possibly sacrificing ourselves.