Chapter 90: Leaving For Space

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 90: Leaving For Space ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

As the party continued, I stepped aside, sitting on the edge of the small wooden bridge that led right into the lake, staring into the water. The moon was high up in the sky. I was truly happy for Tony and Pepper, but it also made my heart ache. I thought that one day that would be me...getting married to the one I love, having children, and growing old. 

However, it seemed that life would never be meant for me. Everyone I love dies around me.
I tried to think of Stephen's words, knowing he would comfort me, telling me I wasn't a reaper, that death was a natural part of life. But why did everyone have to be taken from me? Why did you have to take Stephen? He was my everything, he helped me in a time when I was alone, in the darkness. He became my anchor, my ray of sunshine. What am I going to do without Stephen?

"Why did you do it, Stephen?" I whispered.

We could have figured out another way, one where none of them had to leave, to turn into ashes. Levi, who hadn't been moving since I left my room fluttered around, raising the edges of the fabric up towards my cheek, wiping away tears that I hadn't realized had fallen from my eyes. I cracked a smile, realizing I wasn't truly alone.

"Thanks, Levi." I said, truly grateful.

"Mariana, you out here?" Matthew's voice rang out, snapping me out of my thoughts.

My heart clenched. I didn't mean to leave him behind inside, but I wanted to some space, a few moments to myself. I immediately called out. "Yeah, I'm over here."

Matthew followed my voice, making his way towards me, sitting beside me. We then fell silent, neither one said a word. I should probably apologize to him, let him know that I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you in there. I just wanted a moment to myself." I explained.

"I understand. You do not have to apologize. This is a hard time for you. Penny for your thoughts?" Matthew questioned.

I inhaled deeply as I looked up at the moon. I wonder if Stephen is watching me right now. If he was...I hope he sees how his decision badly screwed with me. I'm not just devastated and. torn, I am also furious.

"I'm...I, uh, I'm just thinking about everything that happened. I still can't believe they're gone. I'm trying to be here, to move on, but I can't...I'm too numb. They took the best parts of me when they vanished. They took my heart with them...Stephen took my heart when he left." I revealed.

"Just because they're gone, doesn't mean they are. They're still with you in here." Matthew said, pointing to his heart. "And in everything you do. Their memory will live on through you. They wouldn't want to see you like this."

He is right. Stephen would hate to see me like this, so would Luna, Gabe, and Robbie. I remained silent, unsure of what to say. Matthew then continued, clearing his throat. "And uh, I know what it's like to lose someone you love. There was a woman I loved, she...she died in my arms."

I stared at him in disbelief. I had no idea. Matthew wore a grim look as he lowered his head. My heart clenched. He looked like he was still in great pain. I extended a hand out, placing a hand over one of his.

"I guess we can relate to one another better than most." I pointed out.

A small smile appeared on his face as he gave me a small nod. "I guess so."

He gave my hand a gentle squeeze. Levi then intervened, pulling me away from Matthew. What is going on with Levi? I nearly fell back into the bridge, but I saved myself at the last moment, balancing myself out. I then spun around to face Levi, giving him a stern look.