Chapter 62: To The Future

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 62: To The Future⍟ ⎊ ⧗

With that, we fell silent. Fitz and I sat back down by the desk, where the computer lied. Both Fitz and I were monitoring the screens, constantly checking to make sure the military hadn't found us.  

"Fitz, I'm sorry it took months to get you out." I apologized, breaking the silence.

"It's all right. I understand. It's not easy to find Hunter." Fitz assured me.

I snorted. "No, it definitely wasn't."

"How have you been in these past six months? I can't imagine it was easy, being on the run from the government, laying low." Fitz mentioned.

At his words, everything that happened in the past six months came back to me in a flash. With everything I went through, it felt more than just six months. I knew I was a different person than I was when Fitz and I were first captured.

"I actually found some friends to stay with. Everything in the past six months has been crazy, but I wasn't alone. I'll tell you everything later." I informed him.

"Can't wait to hear it." Fitz confirmed with a smile on his face.

Once we arrived, all of us followed Enoch towards the Lighthouse, making our way towards a hidden door, which revealed a huge and spacious elevator. I stared in awe. An underground base under the Lighthouse. This was exciting. As soon as we were all inside, Enoch pressed a button on the control panel that stood on the side of the elevator.

"Under a lighthouse, eh? How far down does this go?" Hunter asked.

"Unknown." Enoch replied.

"What is it?" Fitz inquired.

"Unknown." Enoch responded.

"Who built it?" I questioned.

"Unknown." Enoch said once again.

Jeez, is there anything here that is known? Hunter, Fitz, and I exchanged an uneasy look. The doors of the elevator opened, allowing us to all walk out. We made our way into a hallway, which was rather long with thick walls. There were many lights across the ceiling, illuminating the entire place.

"As of this moment, you are the only five humans who know of this place's existence." Enoch informed us.

"How do you know about it?" Fitz inquired.

"We'll stay until we can decide what to do with her. She is no longer safe." Enoch mentioned, changing the subject as he glanced over at Robin.

"Why don't you just ask her? She seems to know everything else." Hunter pointed out.

"She gives answers in her own time. It's better not to interfere." Enoch advised.

"Hey. You sent my friends into the future. I'd call that some serious interference." Fitz retorted.

"Our protocol allows for one exception, the prevention of an extinction-level event." Enoch informed us.

My eyes widened. Fitz and I both blurted out in shock. "What?"

"So what happened?" Hunter asked.

"Unknown." Enoch repeated before walking off.

Fitz, Hunter, and I exchanged a grim look. Whatever happened, it definitely wasn't good.

We then followed Enoch, who led us into a huge spacious room to rest. While Polly and Robin were fast asleep on an inflatable bed we brought from the R.V., Fitz scrolled on his phone, while Hunter ate some eggs he made. I couldn't eat or sleep, not when we were closer to finding our friends. I merely laid down on a sleeping bag near Fitz and Hunter.