Chapter 89: You Must Keep Going

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 89: You Must Keep Going⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Once we returned to the Avengers facility, Steve and Natasha approached me. Marisol had returned inside the facility with Rhodey and the others. This had never happened. Usually we won the day. We would save the day and life would go on as though nothing happened, able to save the day. However, not this time. This instance, was different, unlike the other times, and it felt horrible.

"You know you're more than welcome to stay here." Steve mentioned.

"You will have a room here." Natasha chimed in.

I forced a smile. "Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll come back, I just want to check something first..."

"Of course. You are welcome to come back any time." Steve informed me.

I gave them another smile before I left. I made my way to Greenwich village towards the Sanctum. As soon as I reached the Sanctum, I raised a hand to knock on the doors. Before I could, the doors opened up as if I was expected. As soon as I stepped into the foyer, I saw Wong, who was relieved to see me. However, his face fell when he didn't see Stephen or Luna, instead noticing Levi, which was still wrapped around my back. Upon remembering what happened back on Titan, my lip quivered and tears pricked my eyes, threatening to fall again.

"They're gone. I couldn't save them..." I croaked out.

Wong looked devastated. To my surprise, he rushed towards me, pulling me a hug. Immediately, I let out all my tears again. Wong remained silent, but he kept a hand on my back, letting me know he was here. I was glad to have Wong here. I had finally stopped crying, Wong finally released me.

"You are more than welcome to stay if you want, but I understand if you might want to leave..." Wong trailed off.

He didn't have to say anything else, I knew what he meant by that. I appreciated that he didn't explain any further. I honestly didn't...I couldn't even utter any of their names without bursting into tears again. This place held too many memories. I forced a smile.

"Thanks Wong, I appreciate it...I think I'm just going to wander around. Distract my mind." I mentioned.

Wong gave me a nod. "Of course."

With that, I walked towards the library, making my way towards Stephen's desk. Memories came flooding back to me. Suddenly, it felt like I was back, before he was gone.

Stephen was sitting behind his desk, holding a book in his hands. He lowered his book when he saw me approaching him. Stephen's eyes lit up, but he rolled his eyes.

"Is it time for you to be a pain in the ass again?" Stephen asked.

I snorted as I plopped down in a chair next to him. I held a mug of coffee in one hand and a pastry for him in the other hand wrapped in a napkin. A smirk grew on my face. He wants to be that way, then fine. Two can play this game.

"Well, then I guess I should be leaving along with this mug of coffee and this delicious pastry." I mentioned.

"Oh spare the dramatics. You know you can stay." He commented.

I rolled my eyes, but nevertheless gave him the mug of coffee and his pastry that he was eyeing. I feigened that I was wounded, placing a hand over my heart as I replied. "You're only using me for my snacks. You don't care about me."

Stephen snickered, shaking his head, but I saw a small smile appear on his face. "You are something else."

"Thank you." I replied.