Chapter 23: The First Date

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 23: The First Date ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

So the next day, Jeffrey was able to clear his agenda so we could have dinner at a local restaurant nearby just close enough to the base in case anything happened. I was in my room, getting ready. I wore an orangish yellow dress along with a pair of heels. My hair was pulled back in a braid and I decided to put on some makeup as well. I couldn't stop the butterflies fluttering around in my stomach no matter how much I paced around the room. All of the sudden, there was a knock on the door, nearly making my heart leap out from my chest. That must be Jeffrey. I immediately opened the door, revealing Jemma. I was taken back, not expecting to see her. She stared at me, just as baffled as I was.

"Where are you going dressed like that?" Jemma inquired.

I wore a sheepish smile as I rubbed the back of my head. "Uh, I, well--"

I didn't get to finish my sentence if you can even call that a sentence. Jemma's smile grew. "You're going on a date with the Director?!"

Immediately, I placed a finger on my lips as I shushed her. I looked around to find no one in the hallway. I then turned back to face her, whispering. "Come in before someone accidentally hears you."

With that, Jemma walked into my room. Once she was inside, I closed the door so no one could hear us. The last thing I wanted was for the entire agency to know I have a date with the Director, and then they'd think that he was favoring me, giving me the special treatment...But that wasn't true. I got here with hard work.

"Okay, you're right. I'm going to dinner with Jeffrey, but I need you to keep this between us. The last thing I want is for the entire agency to find about this. Then they'll start rumors of me getting special treatment for going out with the Director." I urged.

"Don't worry, I won't say a word." She assured me.

My shoulders slumped in relief as I gave Jemma a smile. I wasn't sure if this first date would even work out. I didn't understand where these nerves were coming from. But I tried to do my best to relax, though it wasn't working.

"Thank you, Jemma." I said.

Jemma cracked a smile. "Of course. Are you nervous?"

"No." I responded, way too quickly.

Jemma had already suspected, and now my answer gave me away. I don't understand...right now I preferred to go on a mission, any mission rather than go on this dinner date. That was pretty ironic as I used to be terrified of the missions, especially the ones S.H.I.E.L.D. She gave me a sympathetic smile.

"It's all right. The nerves are perfectly normal." She assured me. "When I went on my first date with Fitz, nothing was perfect. We were both nervous, and it didn't help that I was still adjusting as I had been swept off to another planet."

My eyes widened in shock as I blurted out. "You were on another planet?"

Jemma nodded. "The Monolith took me to the planet where Hive was imprisoned. My point is that it's all right to be nervous, everyone is. I bet you the Director is also very nervous, just like you."

She's right. This is a normal thing. I just need to calm down, which was easier said than done. Jemma then added on. "But seriously? The Director? You sure you don't want to date someone else? Such as Davis?"

"He's married, Jemma." I reminded her.

Jemma grimaced. "Oh right. What about Prince?"

"Jemma, I know you don't exactly like him for what he did. But there's good in him. I need you to trust me." I urged.