Chapter 60: Stephen's Birthday

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 60:  Stephen's Birthday⍟ ⎊ ⧗

"And I hadn't been completely honesty with you, the memory of him dying in front of me was another horrible memory that damn staff showed me." I confessed.

Stephen's face fell. "Oh Mariana, don't tell me you blame yourself for your father's death?"

I felt my lip quiver as tears pricked my eyes. I did my best to fight them back as I lowered my head, giving Stephen a shrug. "How can I not? I stormed out from the car, ran off. He was telling me to keep going, but I couldn't accept the loss of my mom. Had I stayed--"

"Then you would've been killed too." Stephen interjected. "You were just a kid. You couldn't have done anything. You did nothing wrong. You were mourning over the loss of your mother, it was normal. You didn't do anything, so please don't blame yourself."

He was right. How could I put so much blame on myself? I was just a child, I didn't mean anything bad by this. I just didn't want to forget my mom completely, like she had never existed...and that's what I thought dad meant when he said for me to move on. It was a simple misunderstanding...To my surprise, Stephen extended a hand out, laying it on top of one of my hands with an awkward pat. I then raised my head to see Stephen, looking hesistant as he spoke up.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cross a line." He apologized.

Before he could pull his hand away, I intertwined my fingers with his, preventing him from tearing his hand away. I gave Stephen a smile as I immediately replied. "You didn't cross a line."

I then saw him quirk a small smile before it vanished, looking worried. He then spoke up. "Mariana, uh, there's...something I need to tell you."

My heart clenched upon hearing those words. That can't be good. Before he could utter a single syllable, a portal then appeared in the room near us, revealing Luna. She wore a sheepish smile.

"Oh hi there." She greeted. "You're, uh, probably wondering why it's snowing outside..."

Stephen let out an irritated sigh. "Luna, what did you do?"

Luna fiddled with the sleeves of her robes as she replied. "A spell might have backfired."

I could see Stephen growing frustrated, no doubt he would snap at her. However, we all made mistakes. I gave his hand a gentle squeeze, earning Stephen's attention. I could see the anger in his eyes and it also radiating off of him. I could feel it due to my abilities.

"Stephen, Luna made a mistake. She's learning." I commented.

"But she will earn us unwanted attention." Stephen mentioned.

I watched as Luna lowered her head, looking down and dejected. My heart clenched. Oh Luna. I didn't like to see her like this.

"We all make mistakes, Stephen. It's how we learn. Besides, did anyone get hurt?" I questioned. I watched as Stephen hesitated, so I continued on. "Give her a break. She's just a kid."

Stephen closed his eyes, inhaling deeply for a few moments. When he opened his eyes, he abruptly let go of my hand, and stood up, turning his back towards me. Did I do or say something wrong? Stephen didn't dare look at me as he answered.

"You stay here, I'll take care of the mess." He offered.

With that, he stormed off, closing the door behind him. Luna looked over at me with a guilty look written across her face. "Aunt Mari, I'm so sorry. I was just trying to broaden my skills."

"Luna, it's okay. Accidents happen. What is important is you are all right and well." I assured her, giving her a gentle look.

Luna stared at me in awe. A smile grew on her face as she approached my bed. "Thank you, I promise not to disappoint you again."