Chapter 70: Fitz's & Jemma's Wedding

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 70: Fitz's & Jemma's Wedding⍟ ⎊ ⧗

I wasn't expecting him at all. Nothing could prepare me for this. I was ready for anything else, ready to tackle it all like I did with Hela, but this was something else. Stephen slowly made his way towards me. 

"Mariana. I'm here for you to realize what you are." He began.

"And what is that?" I questioned.

"A monster." Stephen answered.

His words felt like a gunshot, like a dagger was impaled in my heart. I never thought he was capable of saying anything of the sort. Tears pricked my eyes as I shook my head. "No, that is not true."

"Yes, it is. Everyone around you dies. Face it, Mariana. Voss was right. You are known as the Bringer of Death, the Cerulean Reaper, because wherever you go, death follows." Stephen reminded me.

My heart clenched. No, that is not true. It cannot be. I placed my hands over my ears as I continued to shake my head. "No, stop it. This isn't true. You are wrong."

"Am I?" Stephen asked, raising an eyebrow. "Think about it, Mariana. Your mom, dad, your Uncle Eli, your cousins, Rosalia and Manuel, Jeffrey, and now Coulson's next, but you know it won't stop there. It will keep going on. Who is to say it won't reach the rest of the team, to me, to Luna, to your brothers, to Lucky."

My heart shattered at his words. Coulson placed a hand on my shoulder. I glanced back at Coulson, who spoke up. "Mariana, death is a part of life. We can't stop it from coming. When it is our turn, we have to accept it. This is not your fault, Mariana."

I immediately took in his words. As much as I hated to admit it, he's right. This isn't my fault. I then looked back towards Stephen, but the tear caught my eye. As I gazed at the rift, I couldn't help but stare in awe. I became mesmerized by the glistening light.

"Just like Coulson, you are being pulled to the light. Let's go together." Mike offered.

"You can fix all your mistakes and stop feeling the pain you feel every day, but you must come with me." Stephen advised.

He then extended a hand out towards me. I raised a hand about to take it, when I stopped myself. No, this is not right. This is not real. This is just some trick.

"Sorry, Mike. I'm not buying it." Coulson replied.

"Neither am I." I said. "This isn't real. You are both fake, illusions made of fear."

"Then we'll take you ourselves." Stephen announced, looking furious.

He then grabbed me by the shoulders, causing me to drop the orb onto the ground. I stared at him, completely baffled. He is definitely not the real Stephen. Meanwhile, Mike held onto Coulson. However, a missile went off, hitting both Stephen and Mike. An explosion broke out consuming them. Black smoke appeared and they vanished. Standing not far from us stood Mike. I furrowed my brows. Is he actually Mike? He wore armor and a missile launcher was attached to his arm.

"What are you doing, Coulson? Pick up the doodad. Let's go!" Mike exclaimed as he approached us.

Coulson and I exchanged a look before climbing up to our feet. That's when Lash appeared, storming towards us. My eyes widened as my heart dropped. Suddenly I felt like I was back in the hospital when I first learned what I was, what I had become. Before we could do anything, Mike pushed us out of the way. He then flew up into the air behind Lash before using his flamethrower against Lash. Black smoke appeared before he completely vanished. We then heard screeches coming from the walls. We then saw strange scaly creatures crawling down the walls towards us. My eyes widened in horror.