Chapter 33: Senator Nadeer's Fate

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 33:  Senator Nadeer's Fate ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Later that day, I made my way to the lab to help Jemma anaylze the serum. Jemma wore a grim look. I grimaced. That didn't like like good news.

"Bad news?" I questioned.

"I'm afraid so. The serum we've been testing that the Director has been taking is quite deadly." Jemma informed me. "The chemicals are strong enough to kill Jeffrey. If he injects himself with another dose of the serum, it could send him into cardiac arrest and the next one may kill him."

My heart dropped at her words. This could kill Jeffrey, and I didn't want to lose him. I knew this would devastate him as Jeffrey wanted nothing more than to use the serum to help us, to help S.H.I.E.L.D. I know Jeffrey wanted to prove himself, but I wish he could see that he didn't need to prove to anyone his worth, because to me, he was more than enough. I just hoped Jeffrey would realize this.

"We should tell Jeffrey." I suggested.

"We will, he's there." Jemma said, motioning towards the other side of the lab.

Ah great...Jeffrey's here. With that, Jemma and I approached Jeffrey, who was running on the treadmill with patches on his bare chest and stomach that recorded and monitored his vitals. How would we break the news to him? I honestly didn't know whether to speak to him or not after our fight this morning.

"That's enough for now." Jemma advised.

Jeffrey turned off the treadmill before turning to face us. He wore a smile as soon as he saw me. "Mariana? Agent Simmons?"

"It's not good news, I'm afraid." Jemma began.

"The serum that's been giving you your strength....it..." I trailed off, unable to say anything else.

"The serum is...potentially lethal." Jemma added, finishing my sentence.

"So you're saying it's...a little risky." Jeffrey commented.

"I'm saying it's Russian roulette. You've been fortunate so far, but the next injection...might cause cardiac arrest. And if it doesn't, the one after is even more likely to kill you, and so on and so on until..." Jemma explained, trailing off.

I didn't dare look at Jeffrey as I removed the patches from his chest and stomach. I could feel Jeffrey's gaze on me.

"Geez. Don't sugarcoat it, Doc." Jeffrey retorted. He then quickly added. "And by that, I mean, please, go ahead and sugarcoat it."

"I'm sorry. I know General Talbot was hoping to replicate what was done to Steve Rogers, but..." Jemma explained before inhaling deeply. "But you'll never be Captain America."

I watched as Jeffrey's face fell, looking devastated. It crushed my own heart to see him like this. I knew how much this meant to him. Even though he didn't say he was a fan of Captain America, I knew that this meant the world to him.

"But, you know, I agreed not to take the serum until you completed the medical tests. I'm even in daily physical conditioning, learning to fight." Jeffrey mentioned.

"Yeah, and I hear you're doing well." Jemma commented.

"Agent Piper had me pinned in ten seconds and Mariana had me pinned in five seconds last morning." Jeffrey informed her.

I grimaced. Jemma tried to remain positive as she gave him a smile. "Tomorrow, it will be twelve."

"No, you don't understand. I need my strength. We're already a man down." Jeffrey argued as he stepped off the treadmill.