Chapter 49: Face Your Fears, Mariana

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 49: Face Your Fears, Mariana⍟ ⎊ ⧗

"Before we do this, there's something I need to say." Manuel began as he looked over at me with a look of guilt and remorse. "As much as I am not fond of Inhumans, I don't hate you, Mari. I never could. You're my cousin, the sister I never had. You deserve to live, Mari." 

My heart warmed at his words as tears pricked my eyes. I thought I'd never hear those words from him. For a long while, Gabe, Robbie, and I knew nothing of Manuel. Years later when I finally see him again, he's gone rogue, to the dark side, and hated Inhumans, calling me harsh names. So I'm glad to see this turnabout, but I wish he didn't have to die. Unlike Uncle Eli, at least he had a change of heart before his death.

"Thanks, Manny. I'm glad you're my cousin. Thanks for everything, especially for giving me a little more time with Jeffrey. How I wish things would be differently." I said.

Manuel cracked a smile. "It's all right. I'm ready."

Manuel and I then gave each other a hug before Robbie approached him with a grim look, knowing what was going to happen. After Manuel and Robbie exchanged their last words, we executed the plan. Manuel made his way towards the mountain. Meanwhile, I focused on Nightmare. In a matter of moments, I was back in his mind, back in that creepy castle. Nightmare stood just a few feet away from me.

"Come back for more?" He taunted me. "I told you that you can't defeat me. Your fears trap you. Your father's death, your experiences with Hive, the accident with your brothers, your Uncle Eli, the Framework, and ah yes, your beloved, Jeffrey Mace."

I clenched my fists as I gave him a warning look. "Stop."

"No, you can't make me." He retorted. "Every night, you try to sleep, but you're haunted by the death of your precious Jeffrey. How do you feel, knowing he was right in front of you, and yet he still died, fighting for an imaginary resistance. How pathetic."

I shook my head as tears filled my eyes. "No, stop it!"

"You had the power to stop him and yet you did nothing to stop him." He continued. "You let him die. It's your fault he's dead."

"Enough!" I roared out.

At the moment, all the rage and anguish I felt was released at once. A wave of energy beams as big as a football field was hurled in his direction. His eyes widened, completely shocked. Before he could get out of the way, the wave slammed against him, knocking Nightmare back into the wall. The force and strength was so powerful that bricks and concrete from the wall flew all around him. Blue energy beams surrounded not just my hands, but all around me, including my hair. My eyes were also glowing in the same color as my energy beams.

"Don't ever mention him again." I warned.

I saw a look of fear on his face, but it quickly vanished as he scrambled to get up from the rubble that surrounded him. He grew enraged as he clenched his fists, releasing black beams.

"You think you're so mighty, but you still have fears. I know them all." He reminded me.

I'm done being terrified. I had enough being scared. I'm standing up, taking a stand, and fighting until I can't. He can't hurt me anymore, not here, not in my dreams. I am tired of forcing myself to stay awake just to avoid what happened. Jeffrey's dead, but it wasn't my fault. Like Stephen said, he was prepared to die. Even if the Resistance wasn't real, he still saved us.

"I'm not frightened anymore, Nightmare. Go ahead and try to torment me, though I don't recommend it." I informed him.

"You may hurt me, but you can never kill me." He retorted.