Chapter 74: Back To Reality

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 74: Back To Reality ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

My eyes widened in horror. Oh no. I was terrified to see Stephen's face, afraid he would be annoyed or angry. However, the look on his face was not what I was expecting. He wore a sheepish look, rubbing the back of neck.

"Well...it's, uh, tradition to kiss, isn't it?" Stephen asked.

I was taken back. I never thought I would hear Stephen say anything of the sort. Usually, he would scoff at anything considered tradition. Apparently I was taking too long to respond as Stephen quickly added on. "We don't have to do it if you're not comfortable with it. I understand."

However, there was a hurt look on his face as if I wounded him. My heart clenched, hating to see him in pain. One kiss won't hurt, right? With that in mind, I spoke up. "I don't mind...I mean, it's just one kiss, right?"

"Yeah, just one." Stephen confirmed.

"Okay." I replied.

I then took a deep breath, feeling my nerves quickly rising from within me. I can do this. It is just one kiss. This does not mean a thing. Stephen let out a shaky sigh as he nodded. "Okay."

Here we go. Stephen and I slowly leaned in, closing our eyes. The moment my lips touched Stephen's, I felt sparks erupting from my stomach like fireworks on the Fourth of July or like the huge firework spectacle Disneyland always puts on at night. I felt so alive, more than jumping out a Quinjet. It was such a rush and unable to contain myself, I deepened the kiss, moving my hands up towards his neck, while his hands wrapped around my waist. However, needing to breathe, I pulled away, feeling all happy and giddy inside. I couldn't fight the smile that quickly found its way on my face.

Wow...that kiss was something else. It was...well, magical. I opened my eyes to see Stephen staring at me in utter shock. His cheeks were bright pink. My heart clenched. It was just meant to be a kiss and I liked it...but I'm afraid Stephen didn't share that same sentiment, especially from the look on his face. Stephen cleared his throat, lowering his gaze.

"It's a good thing we got that out of the way." Stephen mentioned.

Ouch...yeah, he definitely does not feel the same about me. I mentally shook my head. No, what am I saying? I cannot be in love with Stephen. I am most certainly not in love with him.

I let out a nervous chuckle. "Uh, yeah, good riddance."

Stephen and I refused to look at one another, each of us glancing over at the team, who grimaced. The entire room fell quiet in an awkward type of silence until Wong spoke up. "I'm going to check on the meal."

"I'll come with you." Jemma offered.

"I'll, uh, join you as well." Fitz suggested.

"Me too." Luna and Deke both chimed in.

"I'm coming too." May added.

"I'm gonna go over there..." Gabe trailed off as he gestured towards the window at the far end of the room.

Lucky let out a bark as he followed Gabe. Wong, Jemma, Fitz, Luna, Deke, and May all made their way towards the kitchen. Stephen retreated towards the fireplace as far away from me, and Coulson walked over towards him, while Daisy approached me by the tree. 

"So you and Stephen..." Daisy began.

"Don't." I warned, cutting her off as I gave her a stern look.

Daisy raised her hands. "Hey, I'm just pointing out the obvious. The Doctor and you have been making lovesick puppy eyes at each other since the moment we arrived. You are in love with Strange."