Chapter 17: The Debate

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 17: The Debate ⍟ ⎊ ⧗

George, the host, gave Nadeer a nod. "Go ahead, Senator."

"Just what is S.H.I.E.L.D.'s purpose if it's not protecting us from the Inhumans? Why are human lives not S.H.I.E.L.D.'s priority?" Nadeer inquired.

With that, I entered Jeffrey's mind like I did earlier in his office. I let out a scoff. "Technically those are two questions."

I watched as the corner of his lips turned upward, yet Jeffrey kept a straight face as I heard his voice in my head. "Mariana, focus."

I rolled my eyes, but nevertheless followed his advice. Jemma began to give intel, which I immediately gave to Jeffrey in his mind. Despite wanting to say something back to Nadeer, I kept myself in check. If I say something harsh, she could turn it around and make it seem like she's the victim.

"Actually, Inhumans and humans share 99.8% of the human genome. Inhumans are human, and the science is in agreement with me. In fact, we share 99.8% of the human genome." Jeffrey answered, taking in all our information and rephrasing it into his own words.

George was astonished as he replied. "It really is that close. I had no idea."

"It really is, George." Jeffrey confirmed.

Nadeer scoffed, shaking her head. "Genetics can't explain the blackouts that plunged parts of the world into darkness. People were terrorized. Lives were lost."

"Two people died in a helicopter crash, while seventeen Inhumans were murdered..." Jemma began in a whisper.

Immediately, I passed that information along with some intel of my own onto Jeffrey, who calmly responded. "Let us never forget that more Inhumans than humans were lost during that crisis."

"And yet every day, there are reports of disturbances in Hong Kong or blue-skinned killers in Wyoming." Nadeer rebuked.

"Well, if I was to respond to every tabloid story and Sasquatch sighting, I couldn't do my job, which is to protect this great nation." Jeffrey shot back, remaining cool and collected.

He then glanced over at me and I gave him a nod, giving him a smile, satisfied. Take that, Nadeer. Let's see you try and come back from that. Nadeer remained unfazed and rather calm, making me worried. This wasn'tgood.

"What about the very real situation that happened just recently outside of Los Angeles? Is it true that S.H.I.E.L.D. destroyed a firework store?" Nadeer inquired.

My heart dropped. I exchanged a look with Jemma. How did she know? Jeffrey was immediately baffled. Jemma whispered. "We have...no data on that, do we?"

Where did she get this information from? I hastily responded, and Jeffrey said the same words that I said to Nadeer. "It's our policy not to comment on ongoing operations, but I can assure you that S.H.I.E.L.D. has the situation completely under control."

Things only grew worse as Nadeer persisted, not backing down on how Inhumans are a menace and threat. It took everything within me not to storm out and debate against her myself.

"People are scared that Inhumans don't share our core values. And who could blame them? How many of our citizens have died under S.H.I.E.L.D.'s watch?" Nadeer protested.

"Fatalities have decreased since the signing of the Sokovia Accords." I said in Jeffrey's mind as Jemma whispered the words next to me.

"We're proud to say that fatalities have actually decreased sharply since the signing of the Sokovia Accords. It's a legacy I hope to build on." Jeffrey argued.