Chapter 21: Into Another Dimension

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 21: Into Another Dimension⍟ ⎊ ⧗

Uncle Eli did this? What? No, that can't be. I shook my head. "No, no, no. You're lying."

"If you don't believe me, you can ask your uncle for himself. He wasn't against Joseph getting the power. He just wanted it for himself." Lucy mentioned as she inspected the both of us. "You're both just like your uncle. You have the same fire." 

My heart clenched at her words. Robbie kept his gaze on Lucy as he replied. "Mari, go find Tío."

No doubt he was going to kill Lucy, but was waiting for me to leave. I gave him a nod before taking off, letting him do his thing. The moment I walked into the room where Uncle Eli and Coulson were, I was horrified. He was re-creating the entire experiment with the boxes filled with quantum energy plugged in and all around a chamber, which Uncle Eli had locked himself in. Electricity continued to crack all around us. 

"It was you the whole time." Coulson argued.

"It took a lot longer than I had hoped. But all those years in jail, I had to plan very carefully." Uncle Eli revealed.

"The attack on Joseph Bauer, that wasn't payback. You just wanted the Darkhold." Coulson shot back.

"Yeah. He was a lot tougher than he looked. I beat the hell out of him. He never gave up where he hid that book." Uncle Eli revealed. "Listen, if I were you, I'd get the hell out of here."

I watched in horror as he confessed everything that Lucy had said. My heart shattered, falling to the ground in tiny pieces. I couldn't believe this. My own uncle, who we thought was doing the right thing, stopping his team from playing God. In reality, Uncle Eli craved the power for himself. Tears filled my eyes as I walked over to the chamber where Uncle Eli was. I was determined to stop him. I knew deep down he cared for me, for Gabe and Robbie.

"Tío..." I croaked out, fighting back the tears that pricked my eyes.

As soon as Uncle Eli saw me, his eyes widened in shock. "Mariana, what are you doing here?"

He then turned to face Coulson, giving him a death glare. "You ordered Mariana come here?!"

"Technically she's the boss of me." He corrected. "And even if I was, I'd never put her in any danger that would result her death."

"Go home, Mari. You don't belong here." Uncle Eli urged, turning back to face me.

"Neither do you, Tío. I know you, you're a good man. You have Robbie, Gabe, and me. Come home with me." I protested.

I watched as his face fell. He shook his head as he responded. "I'm sorry, Mariana. I can't do that. But get out of here. Please. I don't want anything to happen to you, mija."

Uncle Eli then touched the panel, activating the machine. Energy began to hum as the energy moved from the boxes into the chamber. My eyes widened. No! Coulson and I tried to dismantle the system, but it was too late.

"Oh, no..." I gasped.

A huge light then appeared engulfing all around us and blinding us before it surrounded the entire place.

⚜⚜⚜

I ran into the hospital, searching for my brothers. I didn't stop running until I found Robbie and Gabe lying on hospital beds in one of the rooms. I ran towards them, finding them both unconscious.

"Robbie! Gabe!" I shouted out.

Robbie's eyes shot up, letting out a gasp as he grabbed my arm. He then croaked out. "Why weren't you here, Mari."