Chapter 82: A Really Good Lawyer

⍟ ⎊ ⧗Chapter 82: A Really Good Lawyer⍟ ⎊ ⧗

As soon as we returned to the Zephyr, Mack and I approached the medical bay, where Coulson was lying. He was unconscious, but vitals looked normal. Jemma stood beside him, monitoring his vitals. Once she saw Mack and me, her face lit up, greeting us with a smile. That smile quickly vanished though when we gave her the news. Jemma looked devastated with tears streaming down her face.

I knew how Jemma felt. When Jeffrey died, it seemed like my whole world was falling apart. I felt so devastated, torn, angry, sad, and numb. The entire ride back to our new base, I stayed with Jemma, letting her know I was here for, comforting her. Jemma didn't say a word, but she wore a grateful look, appreciating what I was doing.

As soon as we returned to the Lighthouse, I shut myself in my room. With our future secured and the loop broken, Daisy had burned all of Robin's drawings, while May smashed the piece of Monolith we kept into a million tiny pieces. I decided to call Stephen. In a heartbeat, Stephen answered.

"Mariana?"

"We did it, Stephen. We saved the world." I informed him.

He let out a sigh, sounding relieved. "Are you all right?"

I know it was just a simple question, but those words struck me, especially after everything that had just happened. Before I was able to stop myself, I opened the floodgates, unable to contain it any longer.

"No...I'm far from it. I...we lost Fitz." I croaked out.

When Stephen and I got closer, when we got past hating one another, I told him about my team. He knew how much everyone on the team meant to me, they were family. Tears had streamed down my cheeks. I hadn't realized Stephen portaled into my room until he had made his way towards me. Before I could say or do anything, I felt his arms around me. 

"I'm here." He assured me.

At his words, I surrendered completely, wrapping my arms around Stephen, clinging onto him as though my life depended on it. Stephen remained silent as he held me, letting me cry out all my agony. Once my tears susbided, I whispered out. "I...I couldn't save him."

Part of me had hoped that he didn't hear me, but it was too late. He had heard me as he slowly pulled away from the hug to look at me. He gave me a stern look as if scolding me.

"It wasn't your fault." He mentioned. "You did all you could. You can't control death. It was his time."

I remained silent, but I didn't push Stephen away. I didn't want to leave, not this time. So I let him stay in my room, comforting me. Even Levi, Stephen's cloak cheered me up latching onto my back, making me crack a smile. We both sat next to each other on the couch in silence. However, there was no need for any words. His presence was more than enough.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

The next day, we had a celebration in the Zephyr, where we put a plaque up in honor and memory of Coulson. Mack, May, Jemma, Daisy, Marisol, Coulson, Elena, and I stood around in the hangar bay, holding drinks in our hands. However, no one said a word. After all we went through, this was just too grim. But it wasn't the end of Fitz. There was still another Fitz, making his way to the future, not knowing we had already saved it.

"Come on, this is a celebration, not a funeral." Coulson said, breaking the silence.

"Remember how good it felt to walk in here when we first got back? The Zephyr...has been the one place we've been able to call home these last few years." Mack commented.