9: sunrise

"SHINOA!! HOW DARE YOU

     OFFEND LORD SHIBUTO! DO YOU KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF HIS FATHER ASKS FOR COMPENSATION?!", daiji shouted, huffing, as he walked from one end of the room to the other again and again.

"I-I...father, he was being unnecessarily touchy, and I didn't feel comfort—"

"shinoa! will you quit thinking about yourself and suck it up?! you're not a child anymore. you should be honored that you even got to go on a date with the son of a daimyo!! do you know how many girls beg and wish to be in your position?!", pyua scolded.

"then let them...", shinoa uttered beneath her breath.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!", her father darkly questioned.

"n-nothing...", shinoa replied, clenching onto her sleeves, as she was kneeling before her parents as a sort of punishment.

     "what shall we do, honey?? what if they tattle to the shogunate, and he ends up taking our positions away?", pyua worried, beginning to tear up at the thought of being poor once more.

     "he won't do that. after all, suguru's a special grade shaman. the shogunate won't just disregard us like that", daiji assured.

     "shinoa, go kneel outside the main room until sunrise! reflect upon your actions and don't get up until the maid comes and gets you in the morning!", daiji commanded.

     "yes, father. thank you for your benevolence", shinoa mumbled, hastily leaving, as she made her way towards the mentioned destination.

     once the woman bent her knees and plopped onto the cold concrete ground, a gust of wind had immediately reminded her that it was mid october. hence the weather was slightly beyond shinoa's comfort for warmth, even though she was wearing twelve, thin layers of fabric.

"may the night pass faster with my mind in peace", shinoa prayed.

🐇🥕

     hanami was starting to feel uneasy, as he knew shinoa's parents had called her over swiftly after dinner time, and now it was almost midnight.

     it was taking way too long, and part of him knew that shinoa would be disciplined for agitating the son of an aristocrat, but he just didn't know how.

     'perhaps I ought to go check on her'.

     hanami slipped out from the back door of the eastern pavilion, as he leaped from roof to roof, avoiding the sight of those regular humans.

a pitiful feeling washed over his nonexistent heart, as he watched shinoa attempt to stay awake while keeping her hands cozy by shoving it inside her sleeves.