14: cursed human

"SHINOA-SAN, ARE YOU

     alright?", naoya questioned, as he watched the ebony-haired woman barely touch her food.

     the two were currently at the zen'in household, as shinoa's parents had decided that naoya was the best suitor for their daughter after she had failed to find the blooming flower.

     though they attempted to cheat by using a flower that hanami and shinoa planted months ago as a one way ticket of making their daughter the next mistress of the kamo clan, it was said that there was no such competition, for the leader of the kamo clan wasn't looking for a mistress in the slightest.

     what was even weirder was that the servant that had informed them of the said competition had mysteriously disappeared.

"o-oh, yes...yes...", shinoa repeated.

"actually, I'm feeling a bit ill. would it be possible that we meet another time?", the woman requested.

"of course. would you like me to escort you back? after all, the weather's been horrend—"

"no need! I-I mean, thank you, naoya-sama...but I think I'll be fine", shinoa replied, as she knew hanami was secretly watching over her and more than willing to accompany her home.

after all, curses didn't exactly get sick, so the cold wasn't anything unbearable for hanami.

"alright, well please at least let me walk you to the door", naoya offered, holding onto the woman's hand and guiding her, as shinoa simply stayed quiet.

     "shinoa-san, perhaps next time, we can start discussing about our weddi—"

     "naoya-sama...I'm not sure how to nicely say this, but...please forgive me, for I do not wish to marry you", shinoa bluntly intercepted.

     hanami knew something was off about the woman, as ever since she came back from her mountain trip, she's been spaced out and he dare say even frightened.

     "shinoa-san, did something happen?? or did someone say something about me? whatever it is, I'm sure that it's just a misunderstanding", naoya tried to reason, for he had started to believe that shinoa would be the perfect wife for him over the course of these few months.

     not only was she pleasing to look at, she was obedient.

     and an obedient wife would be able to birth him an honorable son.

     "n-nothing really...I just believe that we're not that good of a match. and...and I just really wish to explore the world a little bit more before I commit to anyone", shinoa explained.

     "you can explore the world once we get married. I can even protect you! there's so many curses—"

     "I'm sorry!", shinoa suddenly bowed.