30: reborn

HARUMI SLIGHTLY SWEATED

at the sight of shinoa getting ready for bed. she was certain that she had poisoned the food, so why was nothing happening?

harumi had a plan.

the brown-haired woman had decided that mahito was right; she needed to take another path in order to reach her goals.

she was desperate, desperate to live like she owns this place. she wanted to switch places with shinoa so badly that she was willing to give murdering a shot.

after all, when people are pushed to their own demise, they're willing to do anything to get back up and freely breathe again.

"harumi-san, do you perhaps have any water? my throat's feeling a little—"

shinoa couldn't even finish her sentence, before a harsh cough had erupted from her esophagus. blood surfaced upon her mouth, trickling heavily onto her blanket, as she started deeply breathing to help calm herself.

"h-harumi-san, p-please!!"

shinoa was gasping for air, her arms frantically searching around for anything, somebody — specifically harumi — to hold.

she needed to live, not only for herself, but for sukuna. she wasn't allowed to die unless he permitted her to; and quite frankly, she did not want to die unless it was in the arms of the man she vowed to worship for the rest of her life.

harumi's fingers twitched, almost caving in to the woman's scream for help.

but she simply clenched her fists and sat there silently, watching shinoa suffer.

it wasn't until she was nearly purple, that she had understood that this was harumi's scheme all along.

"why...?", she choked out, feeling her consciousness slowly wither from her grasp.

"because you have the life that I want", harumi whispered, though shinoa could hear just fine, for everything else — like her erratic heartbeats — just sounded like white noise to her at this point.

     "you don't have a single thing to worry about. you don't have to clean, cook, do the chores that a servant at my old estate would have to do. because you...you don't understand!! and you will NEVER understand how it feels to loose everything all in one night simply because the king of curses or demons or WHATEVER THE HELL THEY ARE HAS DECIDED THAT THIS WOULD BE THE END FOR THEM ALL! YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW SHELTERED AND LUCKY YOU ARE THAT YOU'RE BEING PAMPERED BY THE STRONGEST LIVING THING! I'M ENVIOUS; I'M HATEFUL; AND I'M SELFISH, AND SO I'M TAKING FATE INTO MY OWN HANDS! IS THAT SO WRONG?!"

     harumi panted, as she clutched onto her chest, realizing that shinoa was dead silent — deceased.

     irritated and partially guilty, the brown-haired woman had left shinoa's body on her bloody futon.