34: evil

'HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN?'

     suguru wondered, for the dark-haired sorcerer had unconsciously wandered back home, where it was beyond empty.

summer had arrived, as the heat wasn't intolerable, but it surely wasn't ideal for someone like suguru, who dressed in monk clothing.

     the breezes were low, and thankfully drought was not summoned this year. it was odd, for the people walking down the streets held no qualms.

     everything seemed peaceful.

     however, everything was also chaotic at the same time, as there were no parents, no furniture, no servants, and no shinoa at the getō estate.

     "suguru, where are you??"

the dark-haired man snapped around, seeing nothing but the garden before him. sighing out a deep breath, he swore he heard his sister calling for him.

"suguru...seriously, where are you?? I can't find you; I give up!!", a young shinoa pouted.

"boo!!"

a scream resonated throughout the gardens, causing the pair of birds that were perched on top of a nearby branch to flutter away.

     "haha!! gotcha!", young suguru laughed.

     "you scared me!!", shinoa whined, crossing her arms, as the eight year-old girl did not appreciate the sneak attack.

     "sorry, how about I make it up to you by taking you out today? you know~ there's a special occasion taking place today", the dark-haired boy smiled.

     "special occasion...? mm...I know it's not our birthday, because it just passed..."

     without giving little shinoa another chance to think, her twin had snatched her hand and dragged her out of the house.

entering the bustling street, the two getōs wondered from stall to stall, with suguru meticulously explaining each and every little thing to the best of his eight year-old abilities (considering his limited vocabulary).

"ah, it's hinamatsuri (girls' day)!!", shinoa suddenly remembered.

"yep! and you know those sakura mochis that you like so much?? they apparently make it for this occasion as well!", suguru informed.

shinoa excitedly gasped, as she tugged on suguru's arm, swinging it repeatedly from front to back.

"c-can we get some?? wait...but I didn't bring any money...", the girl dejectedly admitted.

"don't fret, shinoa. I brought the allowance that father gave me", suguru replied.

"but you've been saving it up for something! I can't let you just spend it on me", shinoa rebutted.