《 20 》

I sat on Isabella's bed, watching her after she fell asleep

I sat on Isabella's bed, watching her after she fell asleep. Before walking towards the door, I made sure to press a kiss to the crown of her head.

After closing her door shut behind me, I made my way over to the stairs that led to the third floor. The sound of the pendulum clock downstairs echoed through the whole mansion. Last time I checked, it was 10pm.

When I reached the top of the stairs, I walked towards my office. Inside sat Mateo and Nathan, both carelessly looking down at their phones. I cleared my throat, catching their attention.

While walking around my desk, I unlocked my phone, opened the messages I received earlier this evening and placed it down in front of them. They leaned forward, taking a look at it.

"That's Italian if I'm not wrong, no?" Asked Mateo, looking up at me. I nodded, before looking over to Nathan.

"The fuck does it mean with remember the car- that couldn't be Gabriella's Ferrari, I saw how it exploded back in Las Vegas-" He scoffed, his eyes narrowing at the phone. "Hell, I was the one to catch her when she jumped because it was about to crash..." He added, before pausing and looking up at me. "It was the brakes, right?"

"Yeah, but when we brought it to the U.S. everything was in order, I made sure the mechanic checked it-" I replied, sitting down on my chair and making gestures with my hand.

"...There's something we aren't taking into consideration,- Gabriella, when you went to the airport the first time because of the explosion, the brakes were working, weren't they..." Said Mateo, placing his elbows on his knees while interlocking his fingers.

"They stopped working when we were chasing after Hale- I mean fuckface." I grumbled, before correcting myself. The feeling of saying it's name made me want to tie it to my car and drag it around. Then, throw it in it's cell, then torture it nonstop until it begs for me to kill it. Yes, it.

"The only reasonable explanation is that someone must've cut the break lines when you came back for Isabella." Concluded Nathan, leaning back on his chair.

I sighed, reaching for my phone and turning it off. Before I could say anything else, Mateo spoke up. "Gaby, you're not going to Italy on your own, I'm coming with you." He grumbled while his blue eyes narrowed at me.

Knowing arguing back wouldn't make him change his mind, I shrugged and stood up. "Alright, go pack." After I dismissed him, I turned to Nathan. "Please take care of them..."

He gave me a reassuring smile, nodding before replying. "You have my word."

. . .

The frown in my expression only made me realize in how much pain it put me through just to watch the jet take off, and Isabella's image slowly disappear out of my sight. All that was left is my reflection. I just hope this is worth it...