《 55 》

The capital was crowded and cars zoomed past in all directions

The capital was crowded and cars zoomed past in all directions. This was Madrid last time I checked, not New York. Even though it seemed a bit odd for such heavy traffic in the afternoon, it helped the group Angelo and I led to blend in.

I was dressed in a black trench coat, a dark red turtleneck, and black jeans. The trench coat hid the two guns I had on my waistband, which helped them go unnoticed. As for shoewear, I had a pair of ankle-high lace-up black boots. My hair was up in a ponytail, but my bangs fell over the sides of my face and covered the earpiece I wore.

Beside me was Angelo, who was wearing a black dress shirt, black slacks, and his blazer was thrown over his shoulder. A pair of aviator sunglasses covered his eyes, and his hands by black leather gloves. His wrist had a smartwatch - which was connected to his phone and was capacitated to receive messages Xavier sent through his laptop in case he couldn't communicate through the earpiece.

Our hands were holding each other's in a tight grip - with our fingers interlocked, as we walked down a crowded sidewalk. Angelo's thumb would occasionally brush mine in reassurance as he kept me close.

He knew that this mission stressed me and laid a lot of tension and pressure on my shoulders. I still was shaken up by what happened the day before and the heartbreaking discovery we had made. I didn't expect it, but the pieces sure as hell fit together.

We weren't alone, though. Every now and then you could see some of our men driving by in their cars. Xavier, on one side, was in a secret location inside a van, watching our surroundings and tracking us. Xiomara had gone with Denise to Barcelona, Blake and Mateo were in Sevilla, and the rest were here with us. We all had a team even if it seemed like we were alone. But hey, that was the point. Make anyone think we're vulnerable when we're not.

I was sure Leonardo would find us any second now. We're walking into the lion's cage. He's got eyes everywhere, but so do we. Little does he know his phone and phone calls are being tracked.

My eyebrows furrowed when the familiar sound of an engine seemed to approach, and Angelo seemed to have noticed it too because he eyed me through the corner of his eye and his grip on my hand tightened.

We remained focused in walking forward, but took into account the moment the famous black LaFerrari drove by, escorted by two of our men that were undercover. It wasn't being driven by Leonardo, though. He isn't stupid.

"Looks like someone's aware of our visit..." Angelo casually commented as he let go of my hand and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me to his side.

"You okay, amore?" He asked after I hummed and began to look around.

"Wonder if the rest have found anything." I shrugged.

"Yeah, they're all good." Crap, I forgot Xavier and the rest of our men could hear us.

"Alright then," Angelo replied.